• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Green Newbie Rookie

yellowtin

Fire Starter
Joined May 19, 2007
Hello! I'm Ken and I live in Nebraska. I ate at Famous Daves' a week or so ago and I am possesed with trying to replicate that mouth watering brisket on my own! Unfortunately I got suckered into some plans off the internet on how to build my own smoker out of a trash can and a hot plate. I think it would work, but I can't get the hot plate to work properly. Being inside the can makes the thermostat not work right, I think.
I am going to enjoy reading all the posts from people who actually know what they are doing, along with learning from some other rookies.
Looking forward to it!!

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 12, 2007
Glad you made! Welcome. have you signed up for Jeff's 5 day ecourse good info there. Please ask questions, there are many fine folks here with great advice

ultramag

SMF Events Planning Committee
Joined Apr 17, 2006
Welcome to SMF Yellowtin!!! We will be glad to steer you away from the famous galvanized trash can smoker and further your addiction anyway we can. Enjoy the forums.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
welcome to SMF.... check out craigslist.org in your area... you will be able to find something cheap there, if not HD has cheap smokers

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
welcome! If you're using galvanized I think you need to stop. I think the galvanized can put off a dangerous chemical...

billyq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2007
Welocme Ken. Listen to these folks. That galvanized trash can smoker can do bad things to you. Pleanty of good "first" smokers out there, be it gas, elctric, or wood. Might as well do it right the first time!

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
And a hearty welcome from The Great White North to SMF ... I think you will enjoy the great ppl here ...

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 24, 2007
Welcome aboard SMF, Ken....lots of info and ideas here,great place and even better peeps

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Welcome Ken -

Yeah like Shell said - if that garbage can is galvanized it can kill you! I think most are today. BE CAREFUL!

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Boy Ken, ya really like to pour it on don't cha? I mean green or newbie or rookie alone would adequately discribe your NOVICE status here at SMF. But hey!! we're glad that you are here on the best smoking food site on the net. For what you paid for a new trash can (at least I HOPE it was new) and your hot plate another 15or 20 bucks and you could have gotten yourself a fairly inexpensive ECB that's charcoal fired.

Once you master the smoke and tweek everything to your liking, you'll find that Famous Dave's ain't really all that great.

Take a moment and sign up for Tulsa Jeff's basic 5-day eCourse. It free and full of great info.

Have fun learning and ENJOY!!

irwinwd

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 16, 2007
welcome Ken, there is a wealth of information here, and I've never failed to get some pointers and answers to my questions.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
Welcome aboard Ken! Lots of great folks with great information here; you done good by hooking up with SMF!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.