Green Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

klutzee

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Marion, Il
Hey all..I read here a lot but don’t post much. Thanks for all the great info.

I smoked a fresh ham on Saturday with the intentions of reheating and pulling on Sunday. Smoked until IT reached 180 then wrapped in foil and towel and put a n cooler. Was it n cooler for you ver an hour. Then after several drinks with my buddy I put the whole cooler in the fridge overnight. Sunday morning I woke up (with a bit of a headache 😁) and decided to have a peak at it…well it was still warm! (I know!!! I shouldn’t have kept it in the cooler) it was still around 90’. My question is…is it ruined? Or is it safe to go ahead and eat. I went ahead and got some burgers for Sunday and the ham has been in the refrigerator since waiting for me to either throw away or eat. What you all think?

Thanks!!

Personally I think it's trashed. It stayed in the danger zone inside the cooler for most of the night. Not to mention all the condensation and humidity the ham created inside the cooler.

Personally I think it's trashed. It stayed in the danger zone inside the cooler for most of the night. Not to mention all the condensation and humidity the ham created inside the cooler.
Well with your expertise I will take your word. I hate that !!! But that’s what happens sometimes when you’re having too much fun!!
Thanks for your response!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Similar, but different. Here in SC, we have a recreational shrimping season each fall and are allowed to catch 48 quarts per boat of heads-on shrimp each day with a permit. Friend and I went one night and caught our limit and got home early in the morning the next day. Tired from throwing a cast net all night, we just put the whole cooler of shrimp in his deer cooler with the lid closed. Couple of days later, we decided to de-head the shrimp and package them up for the freezer. Opened the cooler, which was inside of his walk-in deer cooler kept at 28℉ and the shrimp were ruined, had turned orange. Lesson learned...

Reactions: klutzee
Well with your expertise I will take your word. I hate that !!! But that’s what happens sometimes when you’re having too much fun!!
Thanks for your response!
No problem bud. Wish I had better news for you but as you know sometimes we make poor decisions when alcohol is involved lol. Most of us have been there. Just opened a can of fun myself

Reactions: klutzee
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky