Green Egging St. Louis Style Ribs w/ Extender

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes I got the built-in adjustable convection plate and it is awesome!  I'm well aware of how heat moves through horizontal offsets without any baffling in them and I wouldn't be satisfied with one of those either and I certainly wouldn't accept it, that's why when I was ready to drop some change on a nice smoker I was 110% sure I wanted that plate.  We weren't originally talking about price in this thread.  Dave made a general statement about it being very difficult to get even temps in any smoker and I disagreed with that because I've seen many smokers (including my own) that are quite easy to get even temps in.
Let me refresh your memory as to exactly what you said in reply to Dave:

"Rotating items and pulling some before others is the name of poor equipment and/or inexperience." 

Let's go further down the rabbit hole.    You're basically saying that your Horizon offset is a poor piece of equipment to start with, but the convection plate changes everything.     That's the extension of your "logic" and it's why I (and I believe Dave) took issue with what you said.

I'd wager that MOST of the people on this board own smokers that have variances in heat distribution and I have to disagree with your conclusion that all of us either have poor equipment or are inexperienced.  

Let me refresh your memory as to exactly what you said in reply to Dave:

"Rotating items and pulling some before others is the name of poor equipment and/or inexperience." 

Let's go further down the rabbit hole.    You're basically saying that your Horizon offset is a poor piece of equipment to start with, but the convection plate changes everything.     That's the extension of your "logic" and it's why I (and I believe Dave) took issue with what you said.

I'd wager that MOST of the people on this board own smokers that have variances in heat distribution and I have to disagree with your conclusion that all of us either have poor equipment or are inexperienced.  
You cannot escape the laws of thermodynamics.  The proper design of a smoker overall is what I'm talking about.  That's like saying a WSM without the water pan is a poor smoker; that water pan is a critical part of it because the fire sits directly under the cooking grates.  Of course a horizontal offset will be hotter on one end without any kind of baffling; also a critical part of the design.  A MES without electricity is pretty useless, but I wouldn't judge it without that critical part.  I feel you are splitting hairs at this point and I'm losing interest in this so I'm going to stop following this thread now.  Best of luck, Austin... 

Huh...he offends people, calls out an OTBS member and tells him he is inexperienced and offering poor advice, then "loses interest" and goes home when challenged. 

Since he says he will not follow this thread anymore, I suppose he won't be reading this, but just in case you do, Austin, I would estimate that a large majority of our membership would disagree with your assessment.  More than a few of our members cook on smokers costing more than $1000 less than your pit.  People who engage in this pastime on a tight budget make due with what they can afford, and use their imagination and ingenuity to put out some very good food.  I for one always find Dave's advice spot on and very helpful.  He is also very popular here, in part because he always goes out of his way to be friendly and courteous, which is an example I think others could learn from.

Just my 2 cents. 

Red

Last edited:
You cannot escape the laws of thermodynamics.  The proper design of a smoker overall is what I'm talking about.  That's like saying a WSM without the water pan is a poor smoker; that water pan is a critical part of it because the fire sits directly under the cooking grates.  Of course a horizontal offset will be hotter on one end without any kind of baffling; also a critical part of the design.  A MES without electricity is pretty useless, but I wouldn't judge it without that critical part.  I feel you are splitting hairs at this point and I'm losing interest in this so I'm going to stop following this thread now.  Best of luck, Austin... 
Last I checked, the WSM comes with the water pan and the MES comes with an electrical cord.

Guess what YOUR Horizon smoker doesn't come "stock" with ?  Yep, the convection plate.    Guess Horizon had to "mod" their "poor equipment"  huh ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky