Green Chili Smoked Chicken Enchiladas ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Boy is that title a mouthful! I don't know how better to explain it, last night I had deep south Mexican food! LOL

Everything is simple, but if you'd like I try and write up a recipe.

IMG_0279.JPG

These are whatever was in then reefer, I shredded the breast of the smoked chicken, grated some lightly smoked cheddar, and used some of the green chili sauce I made the other day.

Next my southern country boy comes out a little.

IMG_0283.JPG

Thats three large bunches of mustard greens (my mostest favorite!). A little smoked bacon hiding in the corner. OMG the house smelled so good while they cooked. That maybe why I like them so much, they are soooo fragrant, they fill the whole house with that delicious aroma! Usually I'd have cornbread, but corn tortillas will suffice.

Dessert, well of course, could there be a doult? Earlier this week I did a pumpkin pie which used to be one of my favorites but since I started making these a few years back, I was so unhappy with the gord pie I threw it out. And miracles never cease, the tater crop just came in and I had fresh sweet taters!

IMG_0285.JPG

It was/is outstanding! It's not my best ever, but it is the best I have had so far this year.

Like I said, if you want a recipe for anything, I'll write on up. No problem

And that was last nights supper.

Note in case you didn't know, I am sure you realize the by-product produced after eating sweet taters, (the musical root), well you get that same excitement when they are baked in a pie. So you can enjoy sharing your love for sweet taters with everyone around you.

Kevin that sounds so good,haven't tried Mustard Greens yet still trying to finish the Collard LOL .The pie looks great I made a white Pumpkin last week. LIKES
Richie

That looks good. I've never made enchiladas before. Only had them in at a restaurant. Or frozen and heated. Or, god help me, the ones from a can.

I assume you mean the chili verde sauce. Enchiladas are just some protein (meat or cheese or both) wrapped up in a corn or flour tortilla ( I use corn), with some caramelized onions or peppers maybe some chile verde, or red sauce, in the bottom or on the top pr both.

Chili Verde
(green enchilada sauce)

Ingredients:
4 pounds tomatillos Shucked, washed and chopped
2 eachs medium white onions
4 Pobalo peppers Charded, peeled, seeded
8 toes garlic
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup lime juice
1 pint chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground ancho pepper
2 eachs large jalapenos chopped and seeded (or with the seeds if your like it caliente)

Sweat onions and garlic, add everything else, simmer with lid on for an hour, remove lid and simmer another hour, adding broth if needed. Everything will sweat down. Check and adjust seasonings to your preference.

Run it thru a food processor, blender, food mill or use a potato masher and a sieve.

When ready to use, I add a 1/2 cup of cream to the sauce. for a more creamy texture and check seasonings.

Kevin that sounds so good,haven't tried Mustard Greens yet still trying to finish the Collard LOL .The pie looks great I made a white Pumpkin last week. LIKES
Richie

It finally got below 90 here last Friday so I am gonna call it fall. I want all the tastes and smells and I want it now! LOL Tonight it was fresh cauliflower, mustard greens, smothered okra w/ some andouille. Thats what I was brought up on, garden food and the fall garden was always my favorite. Had some fresh cabbage but chopped it up and made some chow-chow (its a southern relish).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky