Great Outdoors, Smoky Mountain Series Propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I respectfully disagree.. but that is what this forum is all about :P

I think if a person gives up that easy then maybe smoking meat is not for them. Smoking meat is all about patience and perseverence and I have little tolerance for those who give up too easily.

I had to work for a long time to get it right... I had to be willing to be taught.. and that is the formula for anyone aspiring to be a pitmaster.

I am not as blunt as I sound.. if a person wants to use gas right off the bat then go for it but I would never encourage that.

... there is an age old connection between man, fire and wood.. I recommend learning to tend the fire first
wink.gif

First of all, I'm glad to see you're a 'Canes Fan! I've been a lifelong Gators fan.............but here in So. Florida, you gotta love the 'Canes and Fins!

I'm glad you're happy with your GOSM.............nobody's knocking the unit. And as Jeff P. stated, if they gave up that easy.........perhaps it wasn't for them in the 1st place! Do you know how many people I know with Smokers just laying around collecting dust and turning into rust buckets? (Both Wood and Gas fueled) Some people get it into their heads or think it would be cool to try.............then "POOF", they're back to flippin' burgers on the Weber!!!

My contention still stands that I will not recommend Gas Fueled smokers to Newbies! I'm not saying that they're a "bad" thing or that they don't have their place..............I just want them to learn the fundamentals first. And BTW, tending a fire is NOT secondary in creating great 'Q, it is primary! Only on a Lazy-Q is it secondary!

That's my $0.02!

Jeff

To Aubry,

I enjoy reading your posts and your enthusiasm in the Art of Smoking.

You did a great job with the 3-2-1 method! Usually your Glaze is added on the last hour, but some prefer to leave them naked.........it's really a personal preference.

I'm glad I could validate your point on the burning process. I have to tell you that it is Labor intensive to do what I do, but the results are stupendous!!! For short smokes such as Fish or Ribs.............I don't go thru all that. However, for my 70 - 100 Lbs. that I do at my quarterly BBQ Parties............it's well worth it!

Jeff

I cannot find the big block except for online its the black one other than not being stainles steel is ther a difference between the two?

jcharpentier

I purchased mine at Gander Mountain, which is a local hunting/fishing/outdoors retailer in my area. I have also seen GOSM's advertised at Wal-Mart in some areas. As for stainless vs. black finish, I guess it boils down to personal preference and budget. Size and features are relatively the same. I own the black version and it has served me quite well since I bought it last summer.

Good Luck and keep on smokin'!

Cheers,
Brian

To jcharpenter

As far as the differences, I only know what I have read in another forum (that is one of the predecessors of this one). The other forum is dedicated to the GOSM propane smoker.

I beleive the stainless steel one is an upscale model developed for Sam's club exclusively. I got that from a quarterly statement I read online from the canadian company that owns GSM. The Sam's version has double wall construction. has a different arrangement for holding the wood box and water pan than the others, has three dampers whereas I understand that the current painted wide body unit has only one. It has a brass 10 yr guarantee burner (standard on other GOSM smokers though) and a very heavy duty protective cover. It is very well built with heavy gauge steel. It holds temperature well. Is it worth the difference? I don't know but you do get what you pay for. I had looked at the narrow GSM units at Lowe's for several seasons but thought the wood box was too small and the water pan too far from the flame. When I saw the Sam's one, it looked like it was well designed, heavy duty and worthy of my money. It also seemed to solve all the issues that I could see with the others.

After I joined the other forum, I read every complaint that I could have predicted. The wood box on the other models was too small, construction was cheap, not enough control over venting and the list goes on. No one complains about the SS version. Mine cooks great Q!

Good luck,
Aubrey Page
b4ef7279_vbattach10386.jpg

Many thanks brianj517 and smokin_all_night
The new Walmart near me does not have a big block and the Sam's does not either mmay have to go with the black on the Website .thanks again

To jcharpenter

I got one of the big block black units off the web just before Father's Day, and it does have three dampers, a large fire box and the same water pan design that Aubrey mentioned on his stainless unit. Mine replaced a smaller wood/charcoal unit that I had for 10 years, and I have to tell you that I love the GOSM big block. I have smoked everything from Pork Butts, Ribs, Brisket, salmon, chicken and turkey breast and it is very easy to use. The Big Block unit holds the heat well, smokes much better than my old unit, and most importantly, turns out great product!

You won't be disappointed.

Hi all. We found this new forum and thought we would post on it as well.
We just purchased a GOSMS big block (black) and had a few questions.
1. Where do you usually set your temp gauge for pork?
2. Vents, do you leave them open, 50%, top and sides?
3. For pork tenderloin - How many pans of chips, how long, and what setting for temp?

What is the best way to control temp on this smoker? Is is by just using the gauge? This smoker seems to be a wonderful choice and we just want to get it right!

Thank you so much for your input! The manual just doesn't seem to give much useful info except how to assemble.

Julie

Julie,

I will try and briefly answer your questions. But you questions are basic and are covered well in other portions of this forum as well as a previous forum called : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smokeymountain/ that is entirely devoted to the Smoky mountain propane smoker. I urge you to go to that forum (you might have to join) and read back posts. You will learn a lot.

Regarding the damper question, back up one level and there is a discussion topic where I discuss the damper settings. It is called GOSMS Damper Questions. It is at the same level as this GSM propane smoker discussion.

The temperature is a great topic of discussion. My opinion is 220 degrees F. Fill the water pan. Water boils at 220 so the water pan helps regulate the heat. Use the front door temp gauge to hold 220. Control with the front panel knob.

Beginners should choose a pork shoulder (Boston Butt or Picnic) for their first attempt. This is a very forgiving cut and one that is the basis for Pork Barbecue. Then try a beef brisket. The larger pieces cook better.

I believe a tenderloin should be cooked about 1.25 to 1.5 hours per pound. But this is an estimate for planning purposes. You must have a meat thermometer. I assume you are planning on slicing this tenderloin. If so, cook till the interior temperature is about 180. Any higher and it may fall apart. I am giving you conventional wisdom answers. I have not tried a pork tenderloin. Usually I stick to traditional BBQ cuts.

If you only need smoke for two hours or so, fill the wood box ¼ with wood chips and the rest with chunks. Hickory, Oak or Pecan work best. A thin blue smoke is what you want, not a thick cloud of smoke. For this piece of meat, I would not refill the wood box. By the time it burns out, you have had enough smoke. Try mopping (or spraying) the piece every hour or so with a simple mixture of water and vinegar. You can get more exotic as you learn the various mops.

Regards,
Aubrey Page

Aubrey - thank you very much for your reply! I will definitely check out the link that you provided. We will try the temp and time that you suggested and will try and keep the smoker around 220°. I appreciate your help!

Julie

JJandBoyz. I was hoping somone would have answered your post I was curious myself but since I have not bought mine yet I will have to wait and see the answer

Well I did not see that answer I do now recall the other post stupid me I did not read enough

Thanks Aubrey

Hello all, new here. I have been smoking for 5 years now and just bought a GOSM propane smoker to replace the old rusted unit I started on. It is the 16" wide version - does anyone know how long a standard 20lb LP cylinder will last at roughly 225 degrees.

Game day is upon us and since this is the first time I have ever used the unit I want to make sure I have plenty of fuel on hand. I'll post my results or check the news in OKC for a house fire :D

Boomer Sooner!

To Shank:

My experience is with the wide body Stainless steel version. It is double walled. I get about three all day smokes with mine on a bottle. Others have reported about the same in the past. Certainly on my 3rd smoke, I have a spare full bottle on hand.

Regards,
Aubrey Page

Thanks a million! That is actually great news to hear - I was afraid I would have to be concerned that a bottle wouldn't make a complete smoke.

Take care.

Smokin_all_night,
Your last post brought back many fond memories. I grew up in eastern and central North Carolina and the method of pit BBQ that you describe is the one we used. My Dad and others (and me later) always had two fires going. One was the pit the other was the "feeder" fire. We always and only put embers into the pit... and needless to say, the result was consistently wonderful.
However, after I was married and living in a suburb of Atlanta, it was a little hard to do the "Pit" method. So I got interested in the El Chepo approach and acutally produced some really good Q. I also did a lot of grilling with my Weber and also some gas fired units. I now live on the coast of north Florida and within the last year, I became interested in smoking per this forum. I bought a Char Broil Silver Smoker and I'm still trying to master it.
This past spring I was determined to do a brisket. Using Jeff (Florida) and Jeff (Tulsa) and the web site, I turned out one of the finest briskets I've ever eaten. As Florida Jeff says, I could cut it with a fork ... just like budda.
Let me hasten to add, however, that I have ruined some nice chickens and some really nice ribs. This was in my effort to learn how to reach and maintain temperature. It was really frustrating. As a youngster, we could do it with the two fire method much easier it seems than the off set barrel type.
Two things have now happened. With the benefit of Tulsa Jeff's BBQ 101 course, I have found several modifications that should help tremendously with the temperature mtc. problem. So I'm working on getting the metal pieces cut. The second thing is that I bought a GOSM during the July 4th weekend. I tried some ribs as my first effort and they were tremendous! I get consistent great results.
This is a lot of rambling but the points I'm getting at are this.....there is a rich tradition in our hobby and the more we know about it, the more we can appriciate our results.....whether it's from a GOSM, an old fashoned "Pit" or from an all wood off set, if it works for an individual, then it must be good. I sorely miss those days when we used the two fire "Pit" method. Things seemed so much simpler then .... or perhaps I just remember through the eyes of a youngster. It would be interesting to have the openess/site to build one of those pits and try it again. I believe I could do it.
To close, I'd like to second some other opinions I've heard on this forum.... that is, I'm so glad to have found it. I feel like I've learned a lot but most importantly, I feel like I've made a lot of friends. Thanks to all and especially the two Jeffs!!

Bill

Bwsmith_2000,
Bill,

I appreciated reading your post. My reply will also ramble as you made many good points. Florida Jeff posted and excellent post about the pit method and showed an excellent simple to make barrel wood burner to burn the wood. I have seen extensive web pages on the pit barbecue method and even pictures of many pit designs, some of which are comical. I grew up in Western Kentucky. I remember church fundraisers that were barbecues. Some of the finest BBQ I have ever tasted came from these events. The pit was a hole in the ground that was covered in after the event. The feeder fires were piles of burning Hickory. Over the pit was a chicken wire grate and it was covered with pork, chickens, mutton and everything else I guess. Concrete blocks lined the perimeter of the pit to provide the support for the chicken wire. Rebar probably provided support. I now cook with a GOSM stainless smoker. It is easy to use and makes good Q but not as good as back home (I live in Texas now). But it uses the direct burning wood method.

Like you said there are rich traditions in this hobby. I like to think of myself as a regular here in these forums but actually I am a relative newcomer to the forums. I bring my experience (good and bad) and by traditions with me as I post as does everyone else.

Since you own the GOSM smoker, did you read my post on the 3-2-1 method, a controlled experiment, (introduced originally by Florida Jeff) on cooking ribs? If you follow this method as I attempt to describe in detail the 3-2-1 method, you cannot fail.

Good luck!

Regards,
Aubrey Page

Mr. Page,
I have indeed tried the 3-2-1 method and it was a hit. As a matter of fact, I haven't gotten any bad advise since I have been using the forum. Like you said, I'd love to have the opportunity to study under either of the Jeffs. This forum and the web site have provided me with enough information that I now feel comfortable with smoking. Once I get the metal modification parts made, I'm going to really get back into the off set smoker. The GOSM is great but I still enjoy tending the fire -- especially with a very close friend or two and plenty of snacks and libations. Makes a night go by before you know it...so enjoyable.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky