Great Friends, Great time, And Tomahawk Rib Eyes on The Santa Maria (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been trying since the Cen Tex Que and Brew event to get together with Zach ( Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan ) and his amazing wife Kay but their schedules have been insane. They finally got a free weekend and we decided to get together and grill up some Tomahawk Rib Eyes that I've been holding onto for a while. We also invited our good friends Rick (@TXRick) and his wife Susan. Sadly, Susan was under the weather and not able to attend but Rick was there in all his hippified glory. For only the second time in history, I stepped back and let Zach do the cooking of the steaks. I wasn't the least bit concerned though and thought it'd be nice to sit back and watch somebody else sweat over the grill for a while, and Zach absolutely knows his way around a steak and a grill!!

Started with an appetizer plate with homemade Andouille, sharp cheddar, and some club crackers
001.jpg

Zach and Kay showed up with a pan full of her out-of-this world deviled eggs. God these are SO GOOD!!
003.jpg

Got the steaks out. These are 36 oz. monsters!! One steak per couple was plenty
0001.jpg

Corn shucked and brushed with a bit if my garlic infused EVOO
002.jpg

My first appetizer plate. I did go back for more of everything.
005.jpg

Folks mingling around the munchies. From left to right is Rick, Kay, Zach, and Tracy
004.jpg

Zach is ready to start prepping the steaks. Had to get the big hotel pan out for these
monsters
009.jpg

Got the grill lit up
008.jpg

I've been doing a lot of pickling and brining of different things from ideas that have been bounced back and forth with my friend Steve ( Steve H Steve H ) and offered a sampling to everybody, which was accepted. Back row left to right is jalapenos, pickled red onions, and spicy cauliflower. Front row is spicy pickled garlic, cucumber spears, and spicy hard boiled eggs
006.jpg

Folks hanging out in and around the pool.
007.jpg

Zach got the steaks prepped
010.jpg

Corn on the grill. Tracy wanted some charred to use on salads....but turned out not to have any leftovers. Oh well.....gotta grill up some more. This will be done as Mexican Street Corn as posted by my buddy Joe ( xray xray )
013.jpg

Corn all done and will go into the oven to keep warm till everything else finishes up
014.jpg

Steaks coming along nicely
012.jpg

Steaks all done and into the house to rest for a couple minutes
016.jpg

OMG!! Look at that!!
017.jpg

The whole spread laid out
022.jpg

My dinner plated. Tracy made a really nice salad and we used dressings I made that where shared to SMF by Joe. Those are in the two bottles in the forefront of the previous pic.
023.jpg

Money shot
024.jpg

Decided to pull out all the stops and make my Bourbon Peach Cobbler for dessert. Before anybody gets too judgmental about the cobbler, please bear in mind that I am NOT a baker....but boy this sure did come out good!! Cooked it in a cast iron skillet on the grill.

Peaches and bourbon sauce on the grill
015.jpg

Peaches heated up and the dough dropped into the peach mix
021.jpg

Cobbler coming along nicely. This is cooking while we are eating
025.jpg

All done and into the house to serve
026.jpg

My dessert plate. Served with French Vanilla ice cream
027.jpg

This was one of those times when less was more. There wasn't a plethora of menu offerings but what was offered was done with love :emoji_blush: The meal was a true team effort. I did an appetizer plate, corn, and cobbler. Kay did the deviled eggs. Zach took care of the steaks, and Tracy did the salad. This turned to be a truly exceptional meal. Hats off to Zach though!! He absolutely nailed the steaks. Just the right amount of seasoning to form that perfect crusty char but let the exquisite flavor of the meat shine through. The steaks were perfectly cooked with gorgeous medium rare throughout the entire steak...not just the center as it somewhat typical. These were the epitome of excellence!! This is the second time he has cooked for us on the Santa Maria and both times he's turned out absolute perfection. Hats off to you sir and thank you for the time you put into making a world-class, 5-star meal. By the time dessert was over and Rick started his post-meal concert, we were all pretty much done in. God we were full!!

Well thanks for looking but I gotta go make breakfast for Tracy.

Can't believe i'm cooking again so soon,
Robert

Hey all....I was reading Roll Call when I decided to post this and somehow neglected to go to the Beef forum. I just sent PC Farmer a PM asking him to please move it. Sorry about that....Guess I'm still in a food coma

Brain cramp!!
Robert

Wow!Everything looks absolutely stunning! Hard to stare at tasty meal like that a few hours before lunch.

That peach cobbler is calling my name, I’ll have to polish off my baking chops for the wife (she’s the baker of the house)

Nice job by all! Like!

OMG'osh Robert, what a feed!
I about gasped when you finally gave scale to the true size of those Tomahawks next to the cob corn, Humongous Steaks.

Everything looks great, those Deviled Eggs, the pickled veggies and eggs, the corn and dessert... Dude, your dessert.
First class all the way.

An invite to your place for dinner must be high on everyone's list.

LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!

This was one of those times when less was more. There wasn't a plethora of menu offerings but what was offered was done with love :emoji_blush: The meal was a true team effort.
I am a fan of the KISS methodology when cooking,a simple 3 course is perfect.I am also a fan of fine meals as displayed in this thread.
Great work Robert,and I'd let Zach Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan share duties more often if I were you.
:emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star:

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Good food and even better people. Great time! The pressure was on when I was told I'd be cooking again. I know the expectations were high for the tomahawks! Trusty thermopen in hand (ain't afraid to use it :emoji_wink:). Real secret was some of the Irish Red. Liquid Excellence.

Was a very very satisfying meal from start to finish. The drive home was long, but I'd do it over again given the chance!

Thank you again to tx smoker tx smoker (and Tracy) for the hospitality, and @TXRick for the company and concert!

Hey y'all. Sorry to be absent from the party. Thanks to everybody for the kind words and all the likes. Yesterday was absolute insanity. We'd decided last week that Tracy's crafting hobby had expanded to the point that she needed more space....a lot more. Like her own designated room. We spent all day yesterday gutting out the guest bedroom, the office, and the master bedroom. All her craft stuff was in the guest room and her new craft room was going to be the office. We had to get everything out of the office (all desks, computers, printers, and furniture, etc), make room in the master to set all that back up, then move all her stuff out of the guest room into her new craft room. Setting the "office" up in the master entailed running new coax cable from the structured wiring can to the location where the modem was to be....and on and on. I finally got the computer back up and Internet working but still have some work to do finalizing the new furniture arrangements and getting some stuff to Goodwill. I'll spend some time later today or tomorrow catching up here on an individual basis.

Light at the end of the tunnel,
Robert

Really nice job done by All!

LIKE!

Also appears that a good time was had by everyone...

John

Thanks John....for the kind words and the LIKE. I don't pay much attention to those except when reading a post I really like but they seem to be adding up on my end. Somehow I think I've missed saying thank you to a whole bunch of people :emoji_anguished:

Robert

"Beautiful spread..."

Thank you sir!! You're gonna get tagged pretty soon to come visit and partake of some really good eats. Be on the lookout....

Sending out the warnings,
Robert

That peach cobbler is calling my name, I’ll have to polish off my baking chops for the wife (she’s the baker of the house)

Thanks Joe!! I'm not a baker at all but every once in a while I get stupider than normal and do something like this. It even comes out edible on occasion :emoji_laughing:

On a different note, the two salad dressings are the honey chipotle and the one for your 4-bean salad. We love both of them but believe it or not, the 4-bean dressing was a bigger hit than the honey chipotle. That was quite a surprise. Tracy has pretty much decided that those are all we need and she won't be buying any more store bought dressings.

Nope....not a baker

OMG'osh Robert, what a feed!
I about gasped when you finally gave scale to the true size of those Tomahawks next to the cob corn, Humongous Steaks.

I never really paid attention until you mentioned sizing the steak against the corn....and you're right. They are pretty massive!!

Everything looks great, those Deviled Eggs, the pickled veggies and eggs, the corn and dessert... Dude, your dessert.
First class all the way.

Thank you John!!! Very much appreciate it. Not fair that I get all the accolades on this one. Zach deserves most of the credit for the steaks and Kay's deviled eggs are just incredible. Pretty much all I did was offer up some meat and a place to cook & eat it.

An invite to your place for dinner must be high on everyone's list.

Is it high enough on the list for you to make a trip to Texas??? :emoji_laughing:
Appreciate the likes sir!! All three of them :-)

Robert

Good food and even better people. Great time! The pressure was on when I was told I'd be cooking again. I know the expectations were high for the tomahawks! Trusty thermopen in hand (ain't afraid to use it :emoji_wink:). Real secret was some of the Irish Red. Liquid Excellence.

I agree with you on all counts except one. You weren't under any pressure at all. You know how to cook and a few big ol' steaks are not gonna intimidate you in the least. Y'all should have seen the grin on his face when I set that pan of steaks down in front of him to start getting ready to cook. He looked like a kid on Christmas morning. As with you though, I ain't afraid to use my instant read thermometer either. I'd rather check my ego at the door and use thing versus trashing a bunch of really good steaks.

Thank you again to tx smoker tx smoker (and Tracy) for the hospitality, and @TXRick for the company and concert!

You are more than welcome!! Having you and Kay come visit is pure pleasure and the door is always open. Any time you're willing to drive, I'll provide whatever protein you may want. Tracy has given me carte blanche where you're concerned...as long as it isn't chicken or fish :emoji_anguished:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky