Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tequiladrum

Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Milford, CT
Going to smoke a turkey...want to know about making gravy...I am not going to use a pan. Because I think the juices get too smokey flavored and it ruins the gravy. Any suggestions on making gravy without using the juices???

Thanks

Why not bake a chicken and use the drippings to make your turkey gravy?  If you don't want to do that you can use bullion cubes but that is a distant second and be careful adding salt because bullion is mostly salt.

Put the giblets in water or chicken stock and simmer for an hour low simmer,  cut a fatty piece of skin from the turkey neck cavity or the other end.  Put small amount of EVOO in pan ad the chicken skin and very slow fry the skin, might as well add a little onion too and if you dare a little garlic.  You want to release as much of the fat as possible NOT quick fry.

Now you have your fat and broth to make gravy

Oh you can also cut off the wing tips and fry them with the skin.

Last edited:
Going to smoke a turkey...want to know about making gravy...I am not going to use a pan. Because I think the juices get too smokey flavored and it ruins the gravy. Any suggestions on making gravy without using the juices???

Thanks

If you foil the pan and poke holes through the foil and place the pan under the turkey, you will not get much smoke flavor.

Another idea for less smoke is, do not stir the drippings, remove the pan and place in freezer until grease solidifies on top then remove the gresae, reheat and you should be ok.

The first method will have barely any smoke flavor.

Southwest Gravy recipe 

combine in medium sauce pan

1 18oz jar HEINZ Home Style Roasted turkey gravy 

1 Tsp Grill Mates Baja Citrus marinade mix

1/2 Cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/2 Tsp salt

1/4 Tsp pepper

Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring often.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

O would make some using the turkey dripping after all it won't get that much smoke flavor.

Start with two cans chicken broth, add about 1/2 cup of your Turkey drippings, salt, pepper to taste, thicken with a little cornstarch & white wine slurry. Super simple, super easy, and you can controll how much of the smoke flavor you get from the amount of turkey drippings you add.

Thank you very much...I think I will catch the dripping with the foil method and see how that goes...

Happy turkey Day to you all!

Tequila!

Try this: chop up an onion, celery and a carrot. Saute in butter at medium heat until soft. Add the giblets, neck and wing tips (clip off) and brown. Add chicken stock and simmer for an hour. Remove meat and cool. Strain the broth and set aside. Remove the meat from the turkey neck. Put the meat in a blender with some of the broth. Puree until smooth. Add to broth and simmer. Take 1TBS of butter and 1TBS of flour into a small skillet. Over Med heat stir the mixture until you get a smooth slurry. Bring meat/broth mixture to a boil and add the slurry. Stir constantly until it thickens and voila!

Enjoy

Thank you very much...I think I will catch the dripping with the foil method and see how that goes...

Happy turkey Day to you all!

Tequila!

Make sure to have some type of liquid in your pan and there's enough holes to allow for the drippings to go through.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky