Gravity Charcoal Max Temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bkemke

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I know the MB 560 can go to 700F but I am curious what are the maximum (recommended) temps for other gravity charcoal cookers like the Assassin's, Old Country, Viking, Mixon etc. I would assume they could go as high as the MB with enough forced draft or is there some other limitation, maybe related to the insulated cabinet?

I own the 560 as a introduction with the intention of maybe upgrading in a few years and wanted to learn a little bit more. I am assuming grease fire are going to be a real issue in any cooker above the rendered fat flash point.

I’m for the follow. I’d assume they are similar. Can’t imagine overall why you’d want to go much above around 350F though.

I don’t claim to know much more than I’ve seen and read about those MB 560s, but It’s my understanding that the design is significantly different than most vertical cabinet gravity feed smokers. Isn’t it built to do both low and slow smoking and high temp searing/grilling? I’ve owned a couple of GF smokers, including the Southern Q Limo Jr I cook on now. I don’t remember ever getting it above 325 or so...and I doubt it’d safely do much hotter than that. Maybe 350 if I really pushed it. But I’m with jcam on this subject...my cooker is designed for low and slow cooking. 275-300 is usually plenty hot for me to accomplish that.

Red

My 560 will go to 700 degrees. 700 degrees is tremendously hot. Raising the lid while the fan is still going is like looking into a blacksmith forge. This can melt the best of probes and a grease fire at 700 degrees is a serious situation due to the fan cranking wide open @ 700 degrees. I have learned to take all the probes out except those that Masterbuilt designed for the 560 and that my grill is pretty clean before cranking it up to 700 degrees. 700 degrees is good for reverse searing and it only takes a few minutes at 700 degrees to get that done.

I like the 700 degree searing feature but some caution needs to be taken while using this on my 560.

My 560 will go to 700 degrees. 700 degrees is tremendously hot. Raising the lid while the fan is still going is like looking into a blacksmith forge. This can melt the best of probes and a grease fire at 700 degrees is a serious situation due to the fan cranking wide open @ 700 degrees. I have learned to take all the probes out except those that Masterbuilt designed for the 560 and that my grill is pretty clean before cranking it up to 700 degrees. 700 degrees is good for reverse searing and it only takes a few minutes at 700 degrees to get that done.

I like the 700 degree searing feature but some caution needs to be taken while using this on my 560.
That is amazing.

Reactions: whistlepig
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky