Granulated Garlic/garlic powder and onion powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When ever you buy products that have those little desiccant packets keep them in a jar and use them for exactly for the problem you are having.
x2 on this! I live in Mississippi and have the same problem as you. Aggravating having to throw away good spices and rubs because they are set up like concrete.

Jim

Reactions: DougE and jcam222
I use granulated garlic & onion instead of powder & it stays loose for a long time. If it does get some lumps you can just shake the container & it breaks it up.
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
Instead of rice I'd use dried beans or peas since some of the shaker tops will pass rice thru them and being bigger they will break up the clumps better.

There is also Brown Sugar Bears that might help. They can be found on Amazon.

Reactions: DougE
I use granulated garlic & onion instead of powder & it stays loose for a long time. If it does get some lumps you can just shake the container & it breaks it up.
Al
The garlic is granulated, the onion is powder ...... both are so hard you can't even break enough loose with a chef's knife to get a usable amount of chunks to turn back into powder. I did finally get the granulated garlic busted up enough to get about half of it out .......... by liberally applying the handle of a 20oz. estwing hammer to the sides of the container. The onion power isn't giving up so easy though.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The garlic is granulated, the onion is powder ...... both are so hard you can't even break enough loose with a chef's knife to get a usable amount of chunks to turn back into powder. I did finally get the granulated garlic busted up enough to get about half of it out .......... by liberally applying the handle of a 20oz. estwing hammer to the sides of the container. The onion power isn't giving up so easy though.
Dang Doug, if you buy bulk then pour it into a zipper bag. You need to seal it off from the ambient humidity. That’s crazy to think about but reality is it’s own thing.

They harden up in the house where it's climate controlled, but much slower. These are stored in the barn kitchen where they're subject to the elements, so I definitely have to find a better way of storing these two spices. Everything else keeps fine out here. I did chuck both containers in the freezer with the tops open so maybe that will pull moisture out and let me get them broke up.

They harden up in the house where it's climate controlled, but much slower. These are stored in the barn kitchen where they're subject to the elements, so I definitely have to find a better way of storing these two spices. Everything else keeps fine out here. I did chuck both containers in the freezer with the tops open so maybe that will pull moisture out and let me get them broke up.
I would break it up with a clean screwdriver or similar then pour it out on a table and break it up how ever, then go into a zip bag or into a mason jar with lid. Just what I would do.

No longer bricked in the containers.

1684624416650.png

Now just have to turn them back to usable spices. Yes, I could just toss and start over, but it will happen again with my current storage system. That, and I hate trashing stuff if I can avoid it. Thrifty, cheap, y'all make the call lol.

Both granulated garlic and onion powder returned to a usable state. put it back in the original containers and chucked them in the freezer for tonight. Will maybe vac seal some of it in jars or zip bags tomorrow. I have one of those ancient cuisinart food processors that the whole thing tries to spin when you turn it on, and it gave it a pretty good workout.

Try a piece of plastic wrap over the top treads of the jar then screw the lid on. That should stop the problem as well.

I'll deal with it tomorrow. Right now, all I can smell is garlic and onion since the dust from processing is all in my clothes.

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
Are you my long lost cousin DougE?? LOL!!! MAn after my own habits...I too hate waste!
3/4 full bulk containers bricked ........ find a way to fix it. If almost empty toss. Not really about the money as much as making use of what still is usable with a little effort.

Vac sealed mason jars. The lids are cheap and you can even get a hand vac pump. Works great for brown sugar too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky