Graduation Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybergoon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am smoking meat for my nephew's graduation party next weekend. We are expecting no more than about 50 people. It starts at 1pm and runs until 5pm. My mom is doing all the "other stuff" and I'm smoking pork butts. Initially, I told her that I thought 4, 8lb butts should be enough, but now I'm 2nd guessing my estimate. Mainly based on the fact that the party starts at lunchtime and ends right around dinner time. Can someone who has done a party like this help me out? I really don't want to have a TON of leftovers, but also don't want to run out either.

Thanks in advance.

-Marc

How are you going to serve it ? Sandwiches - Plates - Tacos?  Are you going to let folks serve themselves or are you going to portion it?  Are you providing other meats like chicken ?  Just need to get some info to help you  

How are you going to serve it ? Sandwiches - Plates - Tacos?  Are you going to let folks serve themselves or are you going to portion it?  Are you providing other meats like chicken ?  Just need to get some info to help you  
X2 however, I do pulled pork for my sil about 4 times a year and I figure about 1/2 lb per person (raw butts) and there is always plenty. They do sandwiches and it is for lunch for a pipeline crew. If that helps any.

I plan on pulling the pork and putting it in a roaster. Since people will be coming and going throughout the day, I don't plan on standing there and dishing it out to them. We will have buns for them to make PP sandwiches, but I'm sure some will eat it by it's self. We are not planning on any other meats.

OK so you start with 32# of meat and you will looks 40% weight to the cook and fat. That will leave you with 19# or 3.8 oz ea for 50 people.  If it was me I would try to get another 3-4# so you don't run out and you can freeze the leftovers if there are any. Worst thing you can do is run out of food 

Cybergoon . Welcome to your new 'Obsession'
biggrin.gif

Scarbelly is right on with the servings for 50 ppl. However ,if they are anything like My groups , feedig like you are intending , (JMOH) I would do(Raw) 80# - that's 32# with the 40% loss and leaves 32# .( this is final cooked weight)

You may find a few Gluttons  and figuring they are Pipeliners - BTDT-( as Scarbelly said) 1/2# ea. person will still ( maybe ) leave some leftovers. You said , maybe   more...yeah , an Oilworker , food and Beer , PHhh...

As everyone says It holds well in the freezer in a Vac. Bag.-Boil at 150*f or so and it is as if it were just wrapped and rested . Just sayin'...

bda600a4_Betty004.jpg

This was a Third of this cook... of 180# , 3 days , cook , shread, Refridge , reheat on the morn. of and enjoy...
drool.gif

Have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky