Gotta brag

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
My 12yo son, Bryce, did a little youth deer hunting with my father over the weekend. It’s a tradition with them. He got a 4 pt yesterday, not the biggest but he passed on a couple of does Saturday. It’s at the processor waiting to be cleared by the state. Looking forward to smoking some venison.
6FC29604-9659-4305-9F51-2B15B5BE305D.jpeg

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Nice, tell your son congrats , nice to see the younger ones out hunting. Those are the hunts I remember the most.

Reactions: JLeonard
Murray Murray Yes Sir. Not a lot of it in our area but they are trying to stay on top of it.
pa42phigh pa42phigh So true. He likes being able to say "My deer.." when it goes on the grill/oven.
smokerjim smokerjim Yes sir! My dad is in his mid 70's and its always been a thing with him to take the grandkids youth weekend.
Jim

Thanks sawhorseray sawhorseray I sent him to the stand with a grocery list.....Tenderloins, back strap, roast, and (after reading here) the heart. He called me from the field while papaw was going for the truck....He couldnt even get a word out he was so excited. LOL!
jim

TuckersBarbeque TuckersBarbeque Actually he has gotten a deer youth weekend for the last 3 yrs. My dad says he is the luckiest thing to walk into the woods. He has gotten bigger deer (rack wise) but dad knew we were wanting meat in the freezer so he let him take this one after passing on a couple of does.
Jim

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
That's great! Congrats to your son! Been on many hunts with young hunters and just can't beat seeing the pride and smiles when they get a deer.

Ryan

That's great to see and hear about!
Looks like it might be a nice and tender deer.

What caliber and rifle is he hunting with there?

tallbm tallbm Thats a Remington 30-.06. Its my dads....gotta be close to 40 yrs old and still bringing them down.
Jim

tallbm tallbm Thats a Remington 30-.06. Its my dads....gotta be close to 40 yrs old and still bringing them down.
Jim

Nice! When I want a deer on the ground with little to no need for tracking (evening hunts, I despise tracking in the dark) I use my 30-06. I tell folks that on our small bodied TX deer it blasts them right into the freezer from where they are standing :P

I'm going to attempt to personally pillar and glass bed my Mosin Nagant to see if I can make it have respectable accuracy with a little bit of load development. At that point I'll have the "Russian 30-06" as a viable option as well :)

I'm hoping to get some pig action going soon and won't need so much power. I'll need something that has the ability to knock down as many wild pigs as I can before they all run off and I've got some options for that. Hoping to get about 200-350lbs of pork on the hoof to turn into about 80-120lbs of meat in the freezer :)

I bet your son is going to enjoy eating that venison. Congrats on the kill.

Point for sure
Chris

Congrats to your son on yet another successful hunt.
Good on your Pop for getting the youngsters into the woods.

As long as I live I'll never forget my son taking his first deer/buck, and I no longer really care if I take a deer or not as long as he does... I don't think he'll ever forget either.

My 12yo son, Bryce, did a little youth deer hunting with my father over the weekend. It’s a tradition with them. He got a 4 pt yesterday, not the biggest but he passed on a couple of does Saturday. It’s at the processor waiting to be cleared by the state. Looking forward to smoking some venison.
View attachment 471139
Thanks for looking.
Jim
SWEET!!!!!!!
First buck's are a BIG deal in my family.
Your boy looks pumped and both he and you should be. Is that a Remington Mod. 7400 .243?

Edit: I just saw the Caliber of his gun, that's a pretty big thumper for a kid...LOL!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Plinsc and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky