Got the Mead Started

Discussion in 'Beer & Ale' started by kathrynn, Oct 14, 2013.

1. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Finally got that mead started.  Its happy happy and bubbling on the kitchen counter this morning too.  Bubbles everywhere.  Here are pictures from yesterday.

Its clearing in the top part of the glass jug today....and it active.  Hope I am doing this right!

Thanks for looking!

Kat

2. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Only a gallon? What is the rest of the family going to drink?

Disco

3. Quite interesting - gotta follow this one!

4. When should I show up for the free samples?[​IMG]

5. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

So is that going to be orange raisin beer?

6. kathrynn

LOL!  I don't know how it's going to taste....Dave....it might be orange raisin alcohol of some sort.

This is an experiment....so we shall see!   Aero....will holler!!!

Here is what she is doing today!

The color is changing to a lighter one.

Frothy Bubbles everywhere.

Tried to get some bubbles in action...but the shutter speed on the cell phone is not fast enough.

This is fun to watch!

Kat

7. Looks like a great batch Kat.

It will be stronger than beer S2K9K. Mead (honey wine) ranges from ~8% to 18% ABV. The ancestor of all fermented drinks.

My Brown Ale has finally stopped bubbling. I'll ck it Weds to see if it's ready to bottle.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. mike johnson

mike johnson Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Kat can you please post the recipe you used...

9. kathrynn

Sure....I did get it from Storm the Castle...and its their "cheap" mead recipe.

One orange

25-28 raisins

1 gallon of Spring Water

3 pounds of local honey

1 pkg of yeast (theirs said to use Bread yeast...not me) I used a wine yeast

Slice the orange into small pieces, and add that and the raisins to the glass gallon jug....and then about half the water.  I added the honey next to that.  Then the directions said to really shake the water and the pkg of yeast...couldn't do that in the glass jug.  So I put the yeast in the remaining water jug and shook it for about 3 minutes...and poured that in the glass jug.  Added water to the air lock to the line.  Corked it...and letting it perk right along.

Will keep yall posted.

Kat

10. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Disco

my thoughts exactly

Gary

11. GaryHibbert

Hey Kat

Like I said befor, I'm not a fan of raison mead, but yours is looking really good. You're doing great. And no--NEVER use bread yeast.  It will give the mead an unpleasant flavor

Gary

12. kathrynn

Disco and Gary....I may have found "my adult bev"!  Just saying!

Kat

13. Geez woman, now I might have to try making Mead - but I don't want no raisins!

14. kathrynn

Alesia....they said the raisins would not add to the flavor but was necessary for the sugars to feed the yeast.

Kat

15. disco

If you don't want to use raisins, you can substitute white grape concentrate from a wine making store.

I haven't made mead for years and this looks like an easy recipe. Another addition to the list. My missus laughs and says I don't have a bucket list, I have a smoker list.

Do I take it you have tried it and liked it, Kat?

Disco

16. kathrynn

Not yet Disco.....but we are still in the 2-3 week waiting game before we can do a taste test.

Kat

17. disco

That did sound a little fast. The hardest part of good food is waiting!

Disco

18. kathrynn

The directions say....TRY and wait 6 months.  LOL

Kat

19. GaryHibbert

Hey Kat

I don't know who "they" are, but they're lying to you.  The raisin flavor will come thru  strong.  Also, you don't need the sugars from the raisins--thats what the honey is for!!!!

Also just so you don't get a very unpleasant surprise, 2 to 3 weeks waiting time just dosn't cut it--mead has to age/mellow, or it will simply remove any growths you have on your esophogus

Gary

20. kathrynn

Cool to know that Gary!  It's the Storm the Castle person who did the recipe.  YUCK!  I know that I will wait a GOOD bit longer then.  How long?

Kat