• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Got the Mead Started

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Only a gallon? What is the rest of the family going to drink?

Disco

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012
LOL!  I don't know how it's going to taste....Dave....it might be orange raisin alcohol of some sort.

This is an experiment....so we shall see!   Aero....will holler!!!

Here is what she is doing today!

The color is changing to a lighter one.

Frothy Bubbles everywhere.

Tried to get some bubbles in action...but the shutter speed on the cell phone is not fast enough.

This is fun to watch!

Kat

bama bbq

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 24, 2011
Looks like a great batch Kat.

It will be stronger than beer S2K9K. Mead (honey wine) ranges from ~8% to 18% ABV. The ancestor of all fermented drinks.

My Brown Ale has finally stopped bubbling. I'll ck it Weds to see if it's ready to bottle.

Last edited:

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012

Kat can you please post the recipe you used...
Sure....I did get it from Storm the Castle...and its their "cheap" mead recipe.

One orange

25-28 raisins

1 gallon of Spring Water

3 pounds of local honey

1 pkg of yeast (theirs said to use Bread yeast...not me) I used a wine yeast

Slice the orange into small pieces, and add that and the raisins to the glass gallon jug....and then about half the water.  I added the honey next to that.  Then the directions said to really shake the water and the pkg of yeast...couldn't do that in the glass jug.  So I put the yeast in the remaining water jug and shook it for about 3 minutes...and poured that in the glass jug.  Added water to the air lock to the line.  Corked it...and letting it perk right along.

Will keep yall posted.

Kat

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Hey Kat

Like I said befor, I'm not a fan of raison mead, but yours is looking really good. You're doing great. And no--NEVER use bread yeast.  It will give the mead an unpleasant flavor

Gary

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012
Disco and Gary....I may have found "my adult bev"!  Just saying!

Kat

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012

Geez woman, now I might have to try making Mead - but I don't want no raisins!
Alesia....they said the raisins would not add to the flavor but was necessary for the sugars to feed the yeast.

Kat

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
If you don't want to use raisins, you can substitute white grape concentrate from a wine making store.

I haven't made mead for years and this looks like an easy recipe. Another addition to the list. My missus laughs and says I don't have a bucket list, I have a smoker list.

Do I take it you have tried it and liked it, Kat?

Disco

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012

If you don't want to use raisins, you can substitute white grape concentrate from a wine making store.

I haven't made mead for years and this looks like an easy recipe. Another addition to the list. My missus laughs and says I don't have a bucket list, I have a smoker list.

Do I take it you have tried it and liked it, Kat?

Disco
Not yet Disco.....but we are still in the 2-3 week waiting game before we can do a taste test.

Kat

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012

Not yet Disco.....but we are still in the 2-3 week waiting game before we can do a taste test.

Kat
That did sound a little fast. The hardest part of good food is waiting!

Disco

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Hey Kat

I don't know who "they" are, but they're lying to you.  The raisin flavor will come thru  strong.  Also, you don't need the sugars from the raisins--thats what the honey is for!!!!

Also just so you don't get a very unpleasant surprise, 2 to 3 weeks waiting time just dosn't cut it--mead has to age/mellow, or it will simply remove any growths you have on your esophogus

Gary

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012

Hey Kat

I don't know who "they" are, but they're lying to you.  The raisin flavor will come thru  strong.  Also, you don't need the sugars from the raisins--thats what the honey is for!!!!

Also just so you don't get a very unpleasant surprise, 2 to 3 weeks waiting time just dosn't cut it--mead has to age/mellow, or it will simply remove any growths you have on your esophogus

Gary
Cool to know that Gary!  It's the Storm the Castle person who did the recipe.  YUCK!  I know that I will wait a GOOD bit longer then.  How long?

Kat

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.