got my WSM today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasec5308

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
piney woods ms
hey guys/gals. I received my WSM today and so far it seems like a solid unit. While i was assembling it i noticed the door has a big gap between it and the middle section of the smoker when its latched. I was just wondering if this was normal or its something i should contact weber about. It seems like it would let alot of heat out in that particular spot. I will attach a few pictures below cause i know i probably didnt explain it too well haha. Thanks for yalls help.

Attachments

• thumbnail-4.jpg
    thumbnail-4.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 87
  • thumbnail-5.jpg
    thumbnail-5.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 87
Yep, 5Grills got you covered. The key word is GENTLY, and in small increments.

Congrats on the new family member.

Chris

After you shape it to fit, put a flashlight inside and check the gaps again. Try to get it as snug of a fit all the way around as possible. That WSM will make you very happy.

Reactions: Chasec5308
Looks excessive to me . I think I would call them first . Is it dented in the middle ? Second pic looks like it is .

BTW, my door was that bad when I received my WSM. I emailed Weber with pics and they sent me another. Took about six weeks. The one they sent was no better than what I had. It is still sitting unused in a corner.
I have a 14 , which doesn't have this problem , so that's good info to know .

Wow I feel privileged, my door on the 22" was basically perfect from the onset.

Chris

Chopsaw I’ll get another picture tomorrow and post it. I don’t know that it’s bent in the middle. It may be though. I was wanting to break it in Saturday and smoke some chicken. If I roll with it like it is for the time being how bad will it affect the smokers ability to hold temp?

Do like the others said ,,, bend it to fit . If it were me , I would get some more pics and call them , but bend the door and use it . I have no experience with the 22 , and these guys do . The 14's don't have this trouble due to a smaller door . I was just commenting on what I thought I saw , and I just got a 26 " kettle that arrived damaged . Get 'er fired up !

hey guys/gals. I received my WSM today and so far it seems like a solid unit. While i was assembling it i noticed the door has a big gap between it and the middle section of the smoker when its latched. I was just wondering if this was normal or its something i should contact weber about. It seems like it would let alot of heat out in that particular spot. I will attach a few pictures below cause i know i probably didnt explain it too well haha. Thanks for yalls help.
Go to the website and order you this mod and be done with it. Videos on YouTube about the stainless door mod.

Attachments

• CAJUN BANDIT.pdf
    300.1 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the help y’all! I got it shaped to where I feel it needs to be with almost no gap at all. I’m gonna roll with it until I can do the door mod. Thanks again for the help. Happy smokin!

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks for the help y’all! I got it shaped to where I feel it needs to be with almost no gap at all. I’m gonna roll with it until I can do the door mod. Thanks again for the help. Happy smokin!

I agree with the above statement. That is what I did. When you have the extra money get the stainless steel door mod. It was the game changer. No gaskets needed or to worry about. Then, the next best thing, the lid hinge. Do your research with what mods are available with WSM. Finally, congratulations on your purchase, you will not be disappointed!

Cajun Bandit - Check out their web site. everything from Stainless Steal doors to rotisserie equipment. They sale top shelf stuff.

Congrats on the new WMS - fire that puppy up and show us some BBQ!

Take more pics and contact Webers customer service, before you use it, or message it into shape. They should send you out a new one. Once you've contacted Weber you can do with it as you please. If you eventually go with the Cajun bandit door be careful as I've heard that it sometimes cracks or chips the porcelain.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky