Got my AMNPS and want to try Hot Links

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by tgil, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tgil

tgil Fire Starter

I have a home brew smoker made from an old Coke machine, heated by an element in the bottom.  I bought a AMNPS for my smoke source because I didn't care for the original owner's design.

All of that said, I'm going to try some hot links for my first smoke with the AMNPS.  They will have cure, do I need to get these to 150 IT, even with cure?

Also, I'm thiking about stuffing tonight but not smoking until Sunday, and letting it rest in the fridge until then.  Good, bad?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

Have fun with the AMNPS!

Good info on smoking temps here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/meat-smoking

-Kevin

3. tgil

tgil Fire Starter

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Don't forget the camera!

5. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. tgil

tgil Fire Starter

I'll do some q-view.  Didn't get them stuffed last night, but will do it tonight. Looking forward to this.  I've done a 5lb batch once before and have enough ingredients for 20 more pounds.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how the AMNPS works.  This is my test run for a full load of venison Summer Sausage here in a few weeks.

Thanks for the replies![​IMG]

7. tgil

tgil Fire Starter

I read somewhere, and can't find it now, that I need to cool these down asap when done? Do y'all agree? Ice bath?

8. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes on the ice bath - have fun with the AMNPS 

9. tgil

tgil Fire Starter

Things rarely go as planned at my house, but I did get it done!

Got started with 20lbs of wild hog.[​IMG]

got it all ground up

got the AMSPS lit per the instructions and let it burn for the prescribed amount of time

blew it out and let in roll

got all the links stuffed and loaded

just under 4 hours on and they hit 160

AMNPS has burning a little fast, I guess, but I still had one row left

out of the ice bath and ready to package

finished and ready for the taste test

The review:  AMNPS worked well.  I'd like a little more smoke taste, but I'm sure it's just getting used to the new equipment.  The links turned out with great texture, but they didn't have the kick that they normally do.  I've never added cheese to them but think that will become the norm from here on out.  Overall, not disappointed in my new to me rig.

Summer Sausage and German to come in the near future!

uh, oh problems with pics again [​IMG]

10. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you just click on the Insert Image button you can download from your PC rather than going to photobucket 

11. tgil

tgil Fire Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the pics, tried to edit the above post and stick them in where they belong but the computer didn't like that idea.  I use photobucket because it's faster when the pics are on my phone.  Thanks for the help.

12. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks like they turn out great . Thumbs Up