• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Got a question for yall that keep you smoker outside?

chris88

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 3, 2008
Hi everyone, I have a Lang 48 and I keep it in the garage. But I really would like to get some more room in the garage. So what do yall do to your smokers to keep them from rusting. I was thinking about putting down some bricks and putting the smoker on them. And covering it. Is there anything yall do to keep the rust at bay. Are should I just keep her in the garage.

Thanks Chris

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined May 26, 2010
I laid down a nice pad with pavers and flagstone and keep it covered. My MES, on the other hand, stays in the garage.

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
One thing to remember on covering it, is to have some ventilation other wise moisture sits under there and can cause more rust then just rain

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined May 26, 2010
That's one good thing about the new Brinkman covers. They have vents built in.

fife

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 14, 2011
You could put it under one of the tent like covers.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
You could take it to a guy that makes boat covers and have a custom cover made. We did that for our motorhome

mossymo

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 30, 2007
If it is in the budget and you have the room I would build an oversized dog house to roll it in and out of and ventilate the eaves.

michael ark

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 11, 2011
Harbor freight tarps and bungee's or drag it in the basement it's still mine  .Hot tub check, full size fridge check,  fire place check , cooling from duct she don't no i ran check, smoker 3 ft out the door, check

saitotiktmdog

Joined Apr 11, 2011
With mine I just keep up on the paint maintenance and make sure that water stays out of the stack or inside it, but other than that I leave it uncovered. That way no moisture gets trapped under a tarp or something.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
If it were me & I had a Lang. I think I would just keep it in the garage & put something else outside.

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
I don't know what everyone else does,but when I get my smoker going,I take (the rag or a rag) with oil on it and wipe mind down TOTALLY

I keep mine in the garage too and the changes in temp. and humidity still gets to it;however the oil thingy works well and even if there is already some rust there,after about three times it looks like a dark gun metal. This is a good idea for New Pits as it helps cure the paint, preventing pealing in the first place.

Just lightly sand the "rusty: areas and oil it up. The heat from the pit dries it and seems to pull the oil into the metal.

My firebox got flaky from me not oiling the outside of it when I cured the inside.But now after doing the oil thingy ,mine is looking good.

Hope this helps and,

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
I agree with Al.  If I had a Lang, I would probably keep it in my bedroom.

Good luck and good smoking.

chris88

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies. It looks like the smoker will stay in the garage. Now I really need to clean it out. 

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Ma Dutch works part-time at Kmart and brought me home one of these to setup for my smoker.

It's a 10X20 Car shelter, there is an accessory kit availabe that contains gable ends for the roof, sides and end panels for the bottom to make an enclosed shelter.

The weather here has been crappy and I've yet to set it up. For now the Lang is setting dry under the patio cover.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.