Got a bit creative.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
So, I had to rethink our New Years day dinner. Ann's gout is acting up. So, seafood is out of the question.
Fear not. A quick redirect got me gearing up for rouladen.
Thawed out a top round and sliced it thin. There was left over. So I got to thinking about the jerky you see in the old westerns. You know, they are gnawing on a chunk of jerky about a foot long!
This was sliced thin. Less than a 1/4". The marinade was simple. No real measurements.
Just soy sauce and worsy sauce, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. And a generous amount of Flat Iron Sweet heat. And cure.
P1010140.JPG

Into the dehydrator that my buddy Robert got me for Christmas. This is the best dehydrator I've ever had.
These went for 5 hours at 167 degrees.

P1010147.JPG

Now. Here is the interesting part. Since the meat was really thin. The meat is almost like a potato chip. Crunchy, delicious. And not tough at all. And subtle salt with a big hit of heat.
Oh, did I say the pieces were large?
IMG_20230101_143328704_HDR.jpg

Lol! Maybe not a thing for devote jerky folks. But, this is really, really good!

Last edited:
Nice, very very nice.

Point for sure
Chris

So, I had to rethink our New Years day dinner. Ann's gout is acting up. So, seafood is out of the question.
Fear not. A quick redirect got me gearing up for rouladen.
Thawed out a top round and sliced it thin. There was left over. So I got to thinking about the jerky you see in the old westerns. You know, they are gnawing on a chunk of jerky about a foot long!
This was sliced thin. Less than a 1/4". The marinade was simple. No real measurements.
Just soy sauce and worsy sauce, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. And a generous amount of Flat Iron Sweet heat. And cure.
View attachment 653101

Into the dehydrator that my buddy Robert got me for Christmas. This is the best dehydrator I've ever had.
These went for 5 hours at 167 degrees.

View attachment 653102

Now. Here is the interesting part. Since the meat was really thin. The meat is almost like a potato chip. Crunchy, delicious. And not tough at all. And subtle salt with a big hit of heat.
Oh, did I say the pieces were large?
View attachment 653103
Lol! Maybe not a thing for devote jerky folks. But, this is really, really good!
did you need to add cure?

I did not buy it for that buteven if it works great there is not very muxh room, probably less than 1 of your trays. Is this your first dehydrator?
No. I've had several over the years. Cheap ones with between 3. And 5 trays. With plastic trays that were a pita to clean. Poor fan/heater placement. Bad circulation that required rotated trays. This one is the best I've used.

No. I've had several over the years. Cheap ones with between 3. And 5 trays. With plastic trays that were a pita to clean. Poor fan/heater placement. Bad circulation that required rotated trays. This one is the best I've used.
I have the round "Nesco style" dehydrator which works, but takes forever. It has no insulation, and like you said, requires rotating the trays, and the PITA cleaning. I fabbed up a reflectix sleeve for it, and it helps. One day I want one like yours.

Also. This unit takes up space. Robert tx smoker tx smoker was concerned about this. But. I found room, thankfully, for it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky