Goose Rachael Sandwich....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So I pulled out a 6# bag of goose breasts from the freezer because I needed the space to freeze the 54# of wild hog. Let them thaw overnight while I thought about what I wanted to do with them. Decided that since I would be firing up the smokehouse in about a week to smoke a batch of goose thigh tasso that I would make some goose breast pastrami. So that's what I did.

Cleaned, trimmed, pastrami cure applied, inda fridge for 6 days.
IMG_20230119_121635.jpg

7 days later, rinsed the cure seasonings off, coat with brandy, pastrami rub applied (coriander, CBP, whole mustard seed)
IMG_20230119_160402.jpg

In the smokehouse with the goose tasso 120-140*F for 3-3.5 hours with cherry and hickory to get some smoke on them then crank the temp to 200*F to finish @130*F.
IMG_20230119_124245.jpg

I let them rest for about 10 minutes, then vacsealed the pastrami, into the sous vide machine for 24 hours @131*F to tenderize.
IMG_20230119_160354.jpg

We ate pastrami sandwiches @ the firehouse....

The slice....
IMG_20230120_195531_01.jpg

IMG_20230120_195531_03.jpg

IMG_20230120_195531_02.jpg

The sous vide finish was a game changer! Soooo tender! Turned out GREAT!! (Goose does have a tough layer of connective tissue the runs through the breast, but as long as you slice it properly it is not a huge issue. But the meat was VERY tender!!)

Made a coleslaw to serve with the sandwiches. I'm not big on store bought 'kraut....and did not have any homemade on hand. That's why I say 'sorta' reuben.....

The sandwich:
IMG_20230120_180706.jpg

IMG_20230120_180711.jpg

...I guess technically this is called a 'Racheal" and not a Reuben sandwich. Learn something new everyday....

Thread title changed.

Last edited:
Wow! That looks incredible! I never would have thought of goose pastrami in a million years, but love the idea and it looks like it came out perfect!

Looks delicious!! So rich looking, would be great to try!
Thanks tbern! Was really good. Used spicy cajun mustard but might try Russian dressing next time as it is suppose to have a spicy kick too and it is recommended for the Rachael sandwich.

Wow! That looks incredible! I never would have thought of goose pastrami in a million years, but love the idea and it looks like it came out perfect!
Thanks Jed! I did not come up with the idea...Romanian jews have been making it for a long time...and it is Kosher.
Here is the recipe if you ever get any geese...
https://honest-food.net/goose-pastrami-recipe/

Jesus Keith, that looks absolutely extraordinary!! So creative and done to perfection. not gonna get any better than that. Well done my friend...and where does the chow line start? :emoji_laughing:

Robert

New name for me as well. And I know I would love
that for sure. Great looking sandwich

Keith what did you use for the small hanging wires in the smoker, are they stainless
just asking as I was going to make some 'S" hooks and did not want to tarnish or contaminate the meat with the #9 guage wire I have
from ceiling work

David

Great use of the goose breast . Sure looks good . That's where a SV really shines in my opinion . Puts a nice tender finish on stuff like this .
That sandwich looks fantastic .
I was going to make some 'S" hooks and did not want to tarnish or contaminate the meat with the #9 guage wire I have
from ceiling work
I'm having flashbacks . You have pencil rod or #12 ? Either way , that's all zinc coated .
I bought some stainless S hooks at Lowes . You can buy it in bar stock too .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Jesus Keith, that looks absolutely extraordinary!! So creative and done to perfection. not gonna get any better than that. Well done my friend...and where does the chow line start? :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks Robert! It was really good! I brought the leftovers to my aunt, but there will be more where that came from as I have a LOT of goose left in the freezer! LOL!

New name for me as well. And I know I would love
that for sure. Great looking sandwich

Keith what did you use for the small hanging wires in the smoker, are they stainless
just asking as I was going to make some 'S" hooks and did not want to tarnish or contaminate the meat with the #9 guage wire I have
from ceiling work

David
Thanks David. Good eye...yes the wire is stainless. It's about the diameter of bailing wire. It is used heavily in petrochemical and industrial plants here in South Louisiana. The wire can only hold about a pound per hook...great for jerky and snack sticks.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky