Goose pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
This is probably my flavorite..way to make goose breast! Great and inexpensive way to use up those honker hooters!
Unless I do something stupid, it turns out great every time!
20230205_190057.jpg

20230206_181745.jpg
20230205_190708.jpg

20230206_181751.jpg

20230206_183406.jpg

20230206_183652.jpg

20230206_190925.jpg

20230206_191624.jpg

20230212_110507.jpg

20230212_110602.jpg

Yep. I do jcam. One of the best ways to eat a goose breast. Something about the cure really helps out the flavor profile of goose meat. I make tasso with the thigh meat and the cure is the key....
I agree! Helps take that "goose taste" out of it!

Yeah.....I have learned to slice it very thin just for that reason...
I ended up slicing about half of it by hand. Felt it was better than what the slicer was doing. Its usually thin enough to make out the shot ( well at least if I was the one that shot it. I use BB and T shot for geese) I have ran into some where I got other guys birds and they were using that TSS Tungsten super shot, which is pretty small shot, like 7 and 9's! Hard to find all of that !

If anyone is interested in the recipe and the process I use, just holla! I have no problem sharing it. It is a refined recipe of a buddy of mines that has been making this for 20 years!

Reactions: mike243
Yeah, post the recipe. I make it also, but just call it Easy pastarmi as I sugar sure it with Brown sugar and TQ and then garlic and onion powder it and flower it in Table grind black pepper and forget all the other spices. Smoke it all day and dry it some. Use it for chipped meat in biscuits and gravy, in scrambled eggs or just as finger food.

Goose meat is probably the strongest meat from any animal I have hunted. The blood actually stinks when you smell it in the bag after thawing out breasts. The cure changes goose meat like nothing else I have ever seen. Just like Indaswamp stated. I have made cured chipped deer and goose and people love the goose better. I have farmers that love the cured goose and will not even consider eating one uncured as they can't stand it until it is cured. Then they love it and are happy to get some. The faces their wives make talking about when they cooked a wild goose.

Last batch I made, after smoking, I put it in the sous vide @131*F for 42 hours. Super tender!
I bet thats a game changer! Im going to try that on the next batch!

Ok guys, here is the recipe I use. Its not mine , it's from a friend of mine. It can be tweaked to your liking or just try it out how it is. I will add that trimming off the silver skin or freezer burn or anything at all that doesn't look great, will greatly benefit you in the end. Also, I never have moved it to the oven for the last leg of the cook. I just wrapped and left in the smoker. The next time I make this, I will try indaswamps SV method. I'm guessing it doesn't suck at all!

Here it be:
8 goose breasts
3/4 cup Morton's Tender quick
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
3 tbsp pickling spice (I put mine in a cheesecloth bag to keep from sticking to meat)
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves garlic sliced
1tbsp apple cider vinegar
Put all ingredients in a sealable plastic container and dissolve sugars and salt in about 4 quarts water. Put breasts in solution and cover with water. It's important to make sure meat is covered. Give it a good shake and put in fridge. Shake 2x a day for 7 days.
Remove and rinse well.
Mix 2-1 ground coriander to med grind black pepper. I grind my own seed so two of the regular size containers of pepper corn and one of coriander. Coat completely and shake off excess.
Smoke at 190 for 3 hours 1st hour with apple and last 1/2 hour with cherry. Remove and wrap tightly in heavy foil and cook in oven at 195 for another hour.
Remove and put right in the fridge.
I don't use a thermometer but the times and temps take it to just above medium rare.
Slice across the grain about 1/8".
Guys the key to making this is all in the meat prep. All fat and silver skin MUST be removed. If you don't you'll regret it. The silver skin keeps the solution from doing its job.

Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky