Goose Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Got out last weekend for early season honker hunt. We ended up with 8 and I decided I would take this time and do some jerky. Cut all the fat off and soaked for 2 days to get all the blood out, changing water twice a day. Ground up with total of 13#.
Each batch was 6.5#
20210920_140033.jpg

Mixed season and cure and let sit in fridge for 2 days to firm up. 1st batch was the original. Put about 1.5# in each Ziploc.
20210921_055329.jpg

Hit it with the rolling pin.
20210921_055603.jpg

Flipped onto rack
20210921_062651.jpg

MES 40 set @ 140°, bumped to 160°, bumped to 170°
Used Oak/Hickory/Cherry dust
Between 3.5 - 6 hrs smoke time depending on rack.

Not a huge fan of the compressed texture from packing with rolling pin, so batch #2 I did with the Jerky Cannon.
3 Pepper seasoning with 5 jalapenos mixed in, shot out onto racks.
20210923_085829.jpg

Used same temps and dust as previous. Times were real close to the same also. This texture was much preferred by everyone.
20210923_174440.jpg

My mother used to make goose jerky from the domestic geese but she never ground it up. Doesn't grinding it make it stick to the rack worse?

Looks good bud . I had whole muscle Goose jerky one time . To strong for my taste , but now I'm betting the guy didn't soak it . I bet that's key to the final taste .
Had goose SS from a different guy , it was really good .
Nice work on that .

Nice looking goose jerky! Beautiful color too! I’ve had the three pepper blend from Hi-Country a few times, it’s good stuff.

Man that looks awesome!! Have never had goose jerky!
Thank you, and for the like. Has been many years since I've made any.
My jerky days are over, teeth can't take the chew. Really a nice piece of work, Like! RAY
Thank you Ray, the ground form is much easier on the choppers.
My mother used to make goose jerky from the domestic geese but she never ground it up. Doesn't grinding it make it stick to the rack worse?
It maybe would stick to racks but there is very little with the mesh mats.
Looks good
Thanks Jim, and appreciate the like.
Looks good bud . I had whole muscle Goose jerky one time . To strong for my taste , but now I'm betting the guy didn't soak it . I bet that's key to the final taste .
Had goose SS from a different guy , it was really good .
Nice work on that .
Thanks Chop, I did sliced before and wasn't A fan of it either. I think key is getting all the blood out. I sliced thru the middle of the breast to expose more of it when soaking which I think helped immensely.
Nice looking goose jerky! Beautiful color too! I’ve had the three pepper blend from Hi-Country a few times, it’s good stuff.
Thank you, for commercial seasoning the High Country is my go-to.

mike243 mike243 thank you for the like, much appreciated.

Looks great I sure would be glad to send you my address. The strong taste could be from the wild game taste and I don't mind that.

Warren

Looks great I sure would be glad to send you my address. The strong taste could be from the wild game taste and I don't mind that.

Warren
Thanks Warren and for the like. I don't think this will last long, hunting pards are all ready hitting me up :emoji_wink:
SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , thank you for the like !
tallbm tallbm , thank you for the like.

Last edited:
Very nice! I have been going thru the freezers processing all the goose meat I had on hand. Made 30# of goose/pork jalapeno and cheddar snack sticks 1.5 months ago. And just this past weekend I made 30# of goose/pork pepperoni and Romano Cheese snack sticks. They are in the drying chamber now and should be ready in about 7-10 days.

Tomorrow I'm making 75# of goose/pork Cajun smoke sausage. I'll bring a most of that to my buddy in Kansas, he gives it out to the landowners where he has permission to hunt. They like it a lot.....

Reactions: Level223 and tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky