Good ole Smoked Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonnybbq

Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Now I might be in the minority here. But out of all the meats I have smoked I must say chicken is one, if not my favorite.

It’s simple, requires little work, and tastes delicious.

Whether it’s legs, thighs, quarters or a whole chicken you can’t go wrong.

The thing you get with smoking chicken that you can’t from grilling is a killer skin from the rub.

One thing I have noticed with chicken is you have to cook at higher temps (275-300). If you try to low and slow chicken the smoke will over take the meat and it will not taste as good in my opinion.

To help prevent this, I also prefer using a wood that gives off a lighter smoke flavor. I like to use apple for chicken.

I usually base w olive oil, throw some basic rub on them, maybe some bbq sauce, whatever you want, then get to smoking.

Usually I smoke chicken between 60-90 minutes and that seems to get the job done well. Just check after an hour to see how they are coming.. trust the instinct.. play it by year and enjoy..

Happy smoking

Attachments

• 40BAAC2B-8618-4D40-A606-6590F2E72781.jpeg
    40BAAC2B-8618-4D40-A606-6590F2E72781.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 64
Agree with you. Doing 2 whole birds tomorrow while I am doing a brisket which won't be done til late. Just put then in a beer brine for the night. Will spatchcock in the morning. Since I am doing a brisket it will be oak and a fruit wood.

Reactions: jonnybbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky