Good morning from El Paso TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQBeth

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 7, 2023
Good morning,

I am new to the forum and to smoking. I grew up with my family smoking anything that would fit but have not actually done it solo. My husband built me a smoker that is newly finished and I am excited to get started. Hoping based on this design you can give me some "Watch Out For.." . I know temp and learning how the pit regulates and holds temp but aside from that best advise for a rookie?
smoker 2.jpg
smoker 4.jpg

Attachments

• smoker 1.jpg
    smoker 1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 6
Welcome aboard. It looks like your husband does some nice work.

Chris

Welcome aboard. It looks like your husband does some nice work.

Chris
Thanks he does. He built one for his brother a few years ago that works great but he decided to change mine and give it an offset design rather than the vertical he made for his brother.

Great looking smoker. I wouldnt mind a offset vertical like that for myself!!!
Welcome from Mississippi!
And I love your avatar also!!!!

Jim

Reactions: BBQBeth
Welcome from Iowa!
Best way to learn is start using it. Get a good thermometer with at least 2 probes, 1 for internal meat temp and one for smoker at grate level. Learn where the hot and cold spots are... can use biscuit dough or bread slices placed throughout the smoker. Good luck and take lots of pics!

Ryan

Welcome to the forum from California! This is one nice looking smoker you got.... You found right place to join and I am pretty sure any of your future questions will be answered here....

Welcome. Nice pit - congratulations are in order!

I used to work for a company that sent me to El Paso once in a while. I miss the heck out of Chico's Tacos.

Welcome. Nice pit - congratulations are in order!

I used to work for a company that sent me to El Paso once in a while. I miss the heck out of Chico's Tacos.
Thanks I really am super excited to get started. I am a pretty good cook and love the science of cooking and now smoking (closet mad scientist). We just poured a new larger patio on Saturday so we have a larger cooking/entertaining space. So just giving the new concrete a few more days to cure before moving the smoker onto it (600+ lbs).

Chico's has not been the same since the Pandemic. It's a different taste. Looks the same but its not. The kids are devistated :). The sauce is the same but the taquitoes and cheese are different so I am glad you did not have to suffer the loss the rest of us did.

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Nice looking pit. Can't wait to see some cooks off that bad girl. 🧞‍♀️

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from Ohio, looking forward to seeing your results. Don’t hesitate to ask sprucing questions on the cooks.

Welcome from Southern Michigan.

From the Motor City, moved to a small city almost 20 years ago. I am a gearhead too!

Welcome and nice smoker you got there. I would love to see the inside of the CC and FB.

PS I love that rolling took cart behind the smoker.... That is a rolling cart of real toys!

Welcome from Southern Michigan.

From the Motor City, moved to a small city almost 20 years ago. I am a gearhead too!
That is a requirement for the Motor City right? It's not Detroit Muscle for no reason.

Welcome and nice smoker you got there. I would love to see the inside of the CC and FB.

PS I love that rolling took cart behind the smoker.... That is a rolling cart of real toys!
As soon as it comes home I will post those pics. We have been waiting for the concrete crew to come and finish pulling the forms, powerwash and seal the patio. It was supposed to come home last Friday now hoping for this Friday. They are here today so fingers crossed.

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky