Good mold or bad mold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stackhsc

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2015
I understand white mold is generally considered good. Just wanted to see if folks thought this was the good stuff so I know to let it keep going or clean it.
Thanks

Attachments

• B1ED5C5F-8C31-4CDA-B755-F268EAD0A41C.jpeg
    B1ED5C5F-8C31-4CDA-B755-F268EAD0A41C.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 53
First question-did you inoculate this salami with mold 600? Have you used mold 600 on previous salamis in this chamber?
No I did not. It’s from a local meat shop and figure if it was good mold I would let it continue to grow in the meat chamber. Currently it’s in a paper bag in the fridge and no where near the chamber.

In many European countries (France, Italy and others) it is a normal occurence to see a salami with a white surface mold. This is how it has been made for hundreds of years, the mold is intentional and it contributes to the wonderful flavor of the sausage. It also protects the sausage from the effects of light and oxygen which helps to preserve color and slows down rancidity of fat. Mold covered salamis are not smoked as the smoke application will prevent molds from growing on the surface. Cold smoking sausages (below 25º C, 78º F after fermentation (after around 48 hours) will prevent mold from growing on its surface. Mold can be removed by wiping it off with a rag soaked in vinegar solution. The color of the mold should be white or off-white and not yellow, green, or black. As mold in time can grow to a considerable length it is brushed off before consumption.

Yeast and molds grow much slower than bacteria in fermented meats and sausages and they develop later in a ripening process. They utilize some of the lactic acid that was created during the fermentation stage thus increasing pH (lowering acidity) what as a result improves flavor in a slower fermented product. They don't seem to be affected by a pH drop in the fermentation stage and will grow in a vast range of temperatures (8º -25º C, 46º -78º F) as long as there is high humidity in a chamber. To ensure fast growth at the begining temperatures higher than 20º C (68º F) and humidity over 90% is required.
  • Yeast - Debaromyces
  • Mold - Penicillium
Nobel mold is fine white powdery (Penicillium) good mold.
Non desirable molds include black , green, brown, redish with fuzz. Green molds in the powdery state have been know to be safe.

So you bought it like that? What is it? Fresh meat or a cured product?
No. I bought it fresh from the store and I noticed this on it after about a week in the fridge. Figured if it was the correct stuff I’d use it

In many European countries (France, Italy and others) it is a normal occurence to see a salami with a white surface mold. This is how it has been made for hundreds of years, the mold is intentional and it contributes to the wonderful flavor of the sausage. It also protects the sausage from the effects of light and oxygen which helps to preserve color and slows down rancidity of fat. Mold covered salamis are not smoked as the smoke application will prevent molds from growing on the surface. Cold smoking sausages (below 25º C, 78º F after fermentation (after around 48 hours) will prevent mold from growing on its surface. Mold can be removed by wiping it off with a rag soaked in vinegar solution. The color of the mold should be white or off-white and not yellow, green, or black. As mold in time can grow to a considerable length it is brushed off before consumption.

Yeast and molds grow much slower than bacteria in fermented meats and sausages and they develop later in a ripening process. They utilize some of the lactic acid that was created during the fermentation stage thus increasing pH (lowering acidity) what as a result improves flavor in a slower fermented product. They don't seem to be affected by a pH drop in the fermentation stage and will grow in a vast range of temperatures (8º -25º C, 46º -78º F) as long as there is high humidity in a chamber. To ensure fast growth at the begining temperatures higher than 20º C (68º F) and humidity over 90% is required.
  • Yeast - Debaromyces
  • Mold - Penicillium
Non desirable molds include black , green, brown, redish with fuzz. Green molds in the powdery state have been know to be safe.
ExActly. Good info. But is the stuff I have growing ok to propagate

You may want to talk to the person or store you bought it from.
I dont want to say yes then your liver turns into liquid.
Valid point. I’ll ask them if they inoculate anything.

• Yeast - Debaromyces
  • Mold - Penicillium
My dad would always say that any day you learn something is a good day. Today is a good day...

Likely what I’ll do. Just don’t have easy quick access and am learning as I go. I would have purchased it long ago if I had thought I needed or wanted it. Just realized it would be good and the next day saw that stuff and thought it might work. I’m sure waiting for some to ship won’t matter time wise at this point

If you have a place where you can buy salami that has been made in house, you can use the mold covered casing from it soaked in distilled water for minimum of 5 hours as an inoculant for your salami and salumi.

If you have a place where you can buy salami that has been made in house, you can use the mold covered casing from it soaked in distilled water for minimum of 5 hours as an inoculant for your salami and salumi.

Thanks. I actually started looking today for just that but again, smallish town. Not many independent places with stuff like that. I checked a grocery store today and they didn’t seem to have anything but I’ll keep looking.

Hey, just saw your post about white mold and wanted to help out. White mold is usually harmless, but it's always a good idea to figure out what type of mold you're dealing with before deciding what to do next. If you're not sure, it's better to be safe and have a professional check it out. If you happen to need help with black mold removal, I'd recommend checking out Mr. Mold. They're a great company with a solid reputation for mold remediation services. Here's their website: https://www.mrmoldofmichigan.com/. Anyway, I hope you were able to take care of the mold issue! Let us know how it went.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky