Going to try rump roast on Saturday-thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwhite82986

Original poster
May 5, 2017
After my first smoke on Saturday, a pork loin that came out very tender and juicy even though the middle needed more flavor I'm trying out a rump roast. A coworker of mine advised to try a beef roast such as chuck but this was the cheapest cut they had and I figured for my first beef smoke I would lean on the side of caution so I don't blow a $20 slab of meat. it's right around 4 lbs and trying to find some recipes. Also got a meat injector which I may or may not try with this roast

I agree with NB. For the most. I actually like to keep my pit at a lower temp 180-200. That way I get the most Smoke possible.

Same interna temp range. Make sure and rest for a good 30-45 minutes before slicing.

I'd also make a batch of Chef JJ's Smoky Au Jus

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/chef-jimmyjs-smokey-au-jus

I like to use a good porter or stout instead of the wine.

Makes for an awesome meal!

Well despite a few major errors came out okay. We have plans all day so did it tonight instead. Started marinating in Italian dressing yesterday evening and got my smoker going as soon as I get home. My 2 year old was going crazy so I had to rush to get it on so I could get him settled down so I got it on pretty early and it was around 360 when I got it on.after spending 45 minutes internal temp was around 100 and smoker had stabilized around 250. I started to prepare to take it off at 125 and realized I had no foil to tent so had to run to store and it was at 140 when I got back and took it off. I then took out probe and juices started gushing so I tried to plug it back with probe and when I came back after resting it was sitting in a pile of juice....despite all of this I thought it came out okay for a second smoke and my wife loved it. Wood was mesquite, rub was 1 tbsp French vanilla coffee ground, 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1/2 tbsp chipotle powder, salt and pepper.injected yesterday with butter, salt and Italian dressing

It was sweet and spicy and a little smokey

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky