Going to smoke a wagyu cross rib roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TTiffin

Original poster
May 22, 2020
I've acquired some local 50/50 Holstein/Wagyu beef recently and am looking at smoking a boneless cross rib roast on Sunday. It is exceptional quality beef and im a little nervous about mishandling it.

My thought was low and slow. 200 to 225 cabinet temperature (maybe even lower?) until a internal temp of about 130. Simple seasoning, salt pepper and maybe some rosemary to let the meat shine through. It's not a huge roast, only 2 pounds. It has a beautiful snow white fat cap on it. My smoker is a pit boss vertical pellet smoker.

Picture of it still frozen solid.
Thanks, TTiffin

Attachments

• 20200522_192210.jpg
    20200522_192210.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 29
I would go 200 to 225 chamber temp, internal temp to 110-115 max(for med-rare), then have a hot grill ready to reverse sear and add the color and grill marks to it. 2-3 mins per side on a 500+ grill, then tent with foil and lest rest for 15 or more mins until temp is where you want it. If for what ever reason past med-rear can go past 110-115 in smoker. If grill is not an option a hot pan on stove will work.

Reactions: TTiffin
I would go 200 to 225 chamber temp, internal temp to 110-115 max(for med-rare), then have a hot grill ready to reverse sear and add the color and grill marks to it. 2-3 mins per side on a 500+ grill, then tent with foil and lest rest for 15 or more mins until temp is where you want it. If for what ever reason past med-rear can go past 110-115 in smoker. If grill is not an option a hot pan on stove will work.

This is on, but just a good spread of hot coals for the sear, hard to get a meaningful reading of your temp of the grill at that point . Press the meat for resistance on the sear, a probe won't help. You can look up online for that, but in my experience, push down and soft with slow rebound - still blue, push down and soft with immediate rebound - rare and will become medium rare. You could temp probe quickly at that point, but I would not go off of time. The meat will speak to you over those coals, I'm sure you'll get the feeling of perfect.

Reactions: TTiffin
an instant read therm will help, time suggestion, is just that. push and recovery is something you learn, if the OP is asking, I am guessing they have not reached that point. But very good info on the touch method.

Reactions: D.W.
an instant read therm will help, time suggestion, is just that. push and recovery is something you learn, if the OP is asking, I am guessing they have not reached that point. But very good info on the touch method.
I was just saying I'll probe on the offset, I just don't during the sear. But you are right it will help :)

I think that cut is also know in the US as shoulder roast from what I can gather. I’m surprised it would be tender at rare to medium rare even in a Wagyu hybrid.

Thanks for your opnions gentlemen (I think?).
After browsing some history in these forums I've seen several instances of people alledgedly slow roasting these cuts to a rare/medium rare finish. And i was also advised by the breeder not to take it past 130. But we shall see how it goes, if this one doesn't work out as planned I have a second one to experiment with.
Thanks, TTiffin

I followed h8that4u's advice for the most part. Smoked at 200 with oak pellets for about 3 hours and pulled out of the smoker at about 113 IT. Reverse seared on the weber charcoal and pulled off at 133. Rested for about 20 minutes. It was done a touch more than I would have liked but otherwise it was delicious, tender and juicy and packed with flavor.
Also made some smoked mac and cheese at the same time which turned out great. Then put some garlic bread on the weber for some grill marks.

Attachments

• 20200524_184402.jpg
    20200524_184402.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200524_180859.jpg
    20200524_180859.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200524_182415.jpg
    20200524_182415.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200524_184707.jpg
    20200524_184707.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: D.W.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky