Going to break in my new smoker on Friday! (now with QView!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbrian

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
I'm getting a little excited.  Just put my Brinkmann Square vertical smoker  together last night and cured it per their directions.  Working today until 7PM then going to a relative's house for dinner.  But tomorrow I am off!  I picked up about 9 lbs of chicken breasts and legs the other day in the store.  My plan is to smoke them tomorrow. 

Looking for any direction I can get regarding how hot, how long, brining, etc...

Unfortunately could only find Cowboy lump.  Plus some hickory chunks.   (all from HD -where I got the smoker)

The coal pan in the bottom is rather large and square.  Unlike some round ones I've seen images of here.  I'm probably going to drill some holes in it to increase the airflow and allow ash to fall off better.  

...Other than that, I know not what I'm getting into, but excited none the less!

Thanks in advance!

Brian

There are tons of post on smoking chicken here, look in the Poultry section. I never brine, but if you want crisp skin you'll have to be able to reach 325 degrees in your smoker, which I doubt. You can roll it around on a hot grill to crisp it up or just remove it if it is no big deal. Not sure where you are at and what you ambient temps might be. Sometimes playbox sand will give you higher temps that water.  

Thanks for the sand tip.  Should the sand be wet to provide moisture"  ...Or not worth the effort?

Well, it went "mostly" well for my maiden voyage.  It looked beautiful when finished but was just the tiniest bit drier than I was hoping for.   But, my temps were up and down throughout the smoke as I'm still learning the way the coal/wood burns and how to manage my vents a little better.  I still need to drill holes in my coal pan.  I didn't realize how fast the water would need to be refilled; so I had a little flash fire (which was fun when I opened the door to add water- like a scene from the movie "Backdraft"!  Flames went up about 5 feet!)

Ended up doing a 5-1/2 hour smoke.  Topped off water 3 times.  Added charcoal / hickorywood chunks 3-4 times as well.  Is this normal?

Here's the QView!

Just placed in, lightly seasoned after a 3 hour marinade...

52be216e_IMG-20101126-001021.jpg

After about 2 hours.  Sorry for the blur.  I was trying to be really fast with the door...

9521e67c_IMG-20101126-001031.jpg

Finished and YUMMY!

cdb072ad_IMG-20101126-001041.jpg

d9272882_IMG-20101126-001051.jpg

02891b29_IMG-20101126-001061.jpg

Next smoke is going to be some type of beef!

Take care,

Brian

QView is coming.  It's in a moderation approval limbo for now...

Great work for your first run!! I really like to brine any poultry,it will help with it being dry, but it may have been due to the temperature variation...Great Job!!! Have fun with it........SB

Looks good, Brian 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 Thanks for posting your pics. What type of beef are you thinking about?? Pork butts are pretty forgiving and they are incredible. My fave so far.

Chris

I'm thinking about a Boston Butt  or a Beef Brisket next...  Have to see what I can find...

Loving life in the smoke!

B.

Thanks for the sand tip.  Should the sand be wet to provide moisture"  ...Or not worth the effort?

Well, even water in the pan provides little moisture. It is there more for  heat sink. I like to use the Playbox Sand, which is moist. Now the nice thing about sand is that you can use it more than once. I go 3 or 4 times. You just have to place a sheet of aluminum foil over it to catch drips and remoisten the sand. (not too wet) I tend to use sand more with lower ambient temps 60's or lower, but you can try in in the 70's and see how it works. Get the pan atleast 3/4 full.

I'm thinking about a Boston Butt  or a Beef Brisket next...  Have to see what I can find...

B.

Well Pork Butts aren't beef, but I would have you do one of those before you attempt a Brisket. Throw some ribs in there too before a Brisket. Do a London Broil before a Brisket.

B.

Well Pork Butts aren't beef, but I would have you do one of those before you attempt a Brisket. Throw some ribs in there too before a Brisket. Do a London Broil before a Brisket.I 
I agree Flash. A brisket is a pricey cut of meat and a pork butt will take about the same time ( depending on weight) but you get a feel for a long smoke with a forgiving piece of meat. 

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky