Going to be an interesting year for new grills I think

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd be interested to hear more reviews from the posters here about the new Pit Boss Platinum grills. Most of the reviews on Walmart's site appear to have been written by store associates from demo events, which I don't really trust.

I've been doing the same. Early reviews all seem positive, but I want to wait a little longer to see if any quality issues pop up.

I've got my eye on the Masterbuilt gravity charcoal grill. Very neat idea. Still loving my Traeger though.
I just bought the Masterbuilt Gravity 560. Not put together yet. The box was missing a gasket but Masterbuilt is sending one out. Basically there are only two parts that you might need to replace, the fan and the controller. I just got 25 pounds of Salmon and am ready to go !

That's what is making the decision so difficult. Every thing is so new and untested for durability. It's down to the Pit Boss Lockhart, Masterbuilt Gravity and the Weber Pellet Grill. It seems the PB would be best for Kielbasa but the Weber the best choice for Seared Steaks and Burgers. Thoughts?....JJ

CJ its a tough choice to make, I own a weber gas and performer grill already, a Masterbuilt 40 , a pitboss austinlx, a smokey mountain gas smoker, a 250 gal trailer smoker and several other cooking assets lol, I don't have a way to smoke with charcoal/wood chunks without a lot of baby sitting. I like the idea of the PB but kinda hate the big temp differential and would have thought it could be a little more adjustable on the temps, seems it will make a good holding cabinet when not cold smoking. If I didn't already have a good pellet smoker I could see me driving this 1. good luck buy all of them then sell what ever works out the best in a year or 5 lol

That's what is making the decision so difficult. Every thing is so new and untested for durability. It's down to the Pit Boss Lockhart, Masterbuilt Gravity and the Weber Pellet Grill. It seems the PB would be best for Kielbasa but the Weber the best choice for Seared Steaks and Burgers. Thoughts?....JJ
For seared steaks and burgers, I actually like the specs of the OKJ Pellet. It claims hotter than Weber, and the "searing" area looks much bigger than the searing area on the PB units. That said, it's also their first pellet (same with Weber), so there's some risk there.

Didnt know OKJ was making a Pellet Pooper. Got to have a look. Thanks...JJ

Reactions: mustardsauce
Reactions: Roll_For_Smoke
Yep, they put out a line this year. I saw a mini version at Target last week, but the big one at Lowe's is what I've been looking at. Similar to the PB Platinum series, reviews are just starting to roll in on them. I just found this review this morning. https://www.nibblemethis.com/2020/01/product-review-oklahoma-joes-rider-dlx.html
That was a good read! At that price........and when sales pop up............If all the bugs are worked out that looks like one hell of a pellet grill.

That was a good read! At that price........and when sales pop up............If all the bugs are worked out that looks like one hell of a pellet grill.
I agree. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on it. Even though I've seen some auger jam issues pop up in one of the fan groups, they've all said the customer service was great when responding to issues, so that makes me less concerned.

Reactions: Roll_For_Smoke
Looks nice ..pretty big but until these pellet guys work out the auger and PID issues it doesn't mean crap. It's a crap shoot on you getting a decent rig or a huge paper weight.

• Wow
Reactions: Steff3
As much as I could use a new smoker, I'm just going to make due with a Kettle for this season and then drop the bigger $$$ next Spring or this Fall at the earliest...JJ

Who is having issues? my pitboss has been and still is great lol

Reactions: Steff3
Hi everybody, I'm new here but felt like I need to chime in. I've been shopping for a pellet grill for some time now and saw the new Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX and immediately wanted it. I bought it about a week later and immediately had all kinds of issues. It tripped my breaker several times, wasn't holding a steady temp, and almost started a hopper fire. The pellets in the auger were on fire and smoke was coming out of the hopper. On top of that, ash was everywhere, which makes the ash cup mostly pointless. I'm sure I received a defective grill, but after using it I realized there were many design features that make this grill undesirable and I returned it to get my money back.

With that being said, I decided to buy the new Masterbuilt gravity grill and it was dented pretty bad even though the box looked to be in good shape. Customer service was fantastic and offered a replacement, but after more thought I've decided to return this as well.

I'm looking at the new Cuisinart which seems pretty solid to me. The lack of reviews and no prior experience with pellet grills keep me skeptical. Also thinking maybe spend a little more and get the new Weber. I think that will be a great product, but again, no reviews. With all of that being said, I'll most likely go with the Pro Series PB from Lowe's. I think at least with it I'll get a solid, dependable grill that I'm confident will work as intended for at least a few years.

Reactions: Will Squared
Hi everybody, I'm new here but felt like I need to chime in. I've been shopping for a pellet grill for some time now and saw the new Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX and immediately wanted it. I bought it about a week later and immediately had all kinds of issues. It tripped my breaker several times, wasn't holding a steady temp, and almost started a hopper fire. The pellets in the auger were on fire and smoke was coming out of the hopper. On top of that, ash was everywhere, which makes the ash cup mostly pointless. I'm sure I received a defective grill, but after using it I realized there were many design features that make this grill undesirable and I returned it to get my money back.

With that being said, I decided to buy the new Masterbuilt gravity grill and it was dented pretty bad even though the box looked to be in good shape. Customer service was fantastic and offered a replacement, but after more thought I've decided to return this as well.

I'm looking at the new Cuisinart which seems pretty solid to me. The lack of reviews and no prior experience with pellet grills keep me skeptical. Also thinking maybe spend a little more and get the new Weber. I think that will be a great product, but again, no reviews. With all of that being said, I'll most likely go with the Pro Series PB from Lowe's. I think at least with it I'll get a solid, dependable grill that I'm confident will work as intended for at least a few years.
Yikes, sounds like you've got some bad luck! Honestly, with those bad experiences, I might would just go with a company that has been doing Pellet Grills for years instead of people doing them for the first time.

I'm curious which design features you saw that you didn't like on the OKJ Pellet? I really like that one's features, I've just hesitated to pull the trigger until there are more reviews on the quality.

It didn't hold temp very well, or at least as well as I thought it should. I'm thinking that was more of the design than being defective. It burned through pellets rather fast and I actually ran out when I was sure I shouldn't be. Others have a window or even a sensor. The pellets don't all go into the auger once the hopper is running low, so you could actually glance in and think you have pellets and the auger be empty. The large searing area is pretty awesome but it creates a very large hot spot that needs to be avoided for long smokes. The ash clean out system is a gimmick that I think they're all jumping on because I think all pellet grills get ash everywhere. This one in particular seems to be even more troublesome to clean than most. On top of all of this, they moderated the review I left on their website and said it didn't meet their guidelines.

I think you're right about going with one from a company that's been making them. Definitely leaning more towards the pit boss lately.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky