Going Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zoe tipsword

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Lakewood WA
So I'm researching and picking brains on this one. I'm really thinking about for my retirement job (I've got some time to go) is to open a hot dog cart/pit and selling grill and bbq foods. I have no idea what or where to start, but I do know I'm thinking more trailer and not some food truck.
Any input would be welcome.

Start with your local health department. Where I live it is run by the county. Also the city where I live has vendor permits and other rules. So check with each jurisdiction you plan on operating in. They will be able to tell you all the requirements you will need to comply with. Once you have all the figured out go talk to your insurance company.

I'd also recommend taking some restaraunt/hospitality management courses.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input I've been looking into that. Washington requires a base of operation for kitchen prep and storage among other things. I still have much to learn but that's okay I'm not ready to retire just yet and this is what I plan on doing in my golden years ;)

Watching this. I want a catering business some day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky