Gochjank sauce instead of paste?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
I am planning on making gochujang pork belly this weekend. I screwed up and bought gochujang hot sauce instead of paste. How will this translate? I know they are not the same, but hope it will work. Any ideas?

Shooting from the hip.
Can you reduce the sauce to a paste and get the same taste profile?
Korean is too sweet for me so I haven't gone there in my cooking ventures.

I purchased this to try.. Might as well just have stuck a flame thrower in my fkin mouth LOL
That's what I'm afraid of with the sauce. Some of what I've read, it's diluted with rice vinegar, but still not sure what the conversion would be to paste. Don't want to ruin a hunk of belly.

I've only used paste once.. Will definitely dilute next time.. Was a nice long lasting heat. Not sure how many brands there is, some hotter some not as hot?

Hope it turned out OK. I have the paste but have not used it yet. Sauce might have worked just fine as the paste is mixed in with other stuff for Bulgogi. IMO asian type stuff is all over the place and no one way to approach it. Semi local joint does beef bulgogi and dead set on replicating. This is my starting point. https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/21/korean-beef-bulgogi/

Reactions: negolien
Thanks for the replies! I tasted it on some ham and it is not bad at all. I added it to the marinate as is. Sous Vide it yesterday and I will crisp it up for lettuce wraps tonight. I did make a one pound chunk with just salt and pepper for the wife incase it's too much. I'll just coat it with some honey bbq for wraps. I'm kind of excited to try it! This sous vide is kind of addicting.

Thanks for the replies! I tasted it on some ham and it is not bad at all. I added it to the marinate as is. Sous Vide it yesterday and I will crisp it up for lettuce wraps tonight. I did make a one pound chunk with just salt and pepper for the wife incase it's too much. I'll just coat it with some honey bbq for wraps. I'm kind of excited to try it! This sous vide is kind of addicting.
Sounds good! Funny you mentioned honey, was going to suggest you cut that sauce with some. Or maybe some heavy syrup from some canned pears. That's what I plan to try on my bulgogi. SV is great and I use it often just like you do in steps like this. Grilled some thick pork chops last night I previously bathed. Good luck on the finish!

Reactions: kawboy
Turned out pretty mild, but much better with a few drops of the sauce. The pickled red onions I made turned out awesome. Definitely something I'll play around with!

Attachments

• 20220912_204524.jpg
    20220912_204524.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky