Goat Leg Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
When I found a whole goat leg at a local farm to market, I couldn't resist. I pretty much treated it like a pork butt with different seasonings. Here goes:

1. I scored the top and seasoned it with a layer of SPG, then came back and hit it with a french herb mixture I picked up from some ladies at the local winter market.
IMG_20210315_212745_271.jpg

2. Into the schmoker it went. I was also schmoking some briskets that day, so it got the mesquite treatment.

3. When the bark set and the color was where I wanted it, I wrapped it it foil with a little Shiner Bock (wound up being right at 175° IT).

4. Pulled it at probe tender (205°).
VID_25710914_092448_528_exported_0.jpg

5. After a 2 hour rest, I yanked the bone out and pulled it all up like a pork butt.
VID_25710914_092448_528_exported_4391.jpg IMG_20210316_111836_348.jpg

6. To make the tacos, I roasted some sweet potatoes and green peppers in the oven, mixed up a fresh bowl of pico, and pickled some radishes. I threw it all on street size tortillas and topped it with a drizzle of my Boom Sauce (which is my rendition of an Alabama White Sauce).
IMG_20210321_181156_192.jpg

Looks fantastic. How did the flavor compare to lamb or beef? The only goat meat I've ever had was in Indian dishes with strong flavors that didn't really let you taste the meat.

Reactions: Preacher Man
Looks great! Never had goat before either... and no, I'm not pulling your leg! :emoji_blush: care to share your boom sauce recipe?

Ryan

WOW!! That is just beautiful, and an superbly documented thread. Very nicely done across the board...but man oh man, I'd be all over those tacos.

Robert

Never had goat but would try those for sure! NICE JOB

There is an episode dedicated to goat (cabrito) on the Taco Chronicles on Netflix and there are definitely some fantatics.

Looks fantastic. How did the flavor compare to lamb or beef? The only goat meat I've ever had was in Indian dishes with strong flavors that didn't really let you taste the meat.
Man those tacos look fantastic! Beautiful photography too. How was the goat? I never had it before.

Like!!
To me, goat is like a mild flavor of lamb. It's got some of that gaminess, but not as strong as you'd get with a rack of lamb. I know a lot of people don't like that flavor, but I really enjoy it.

Very nice man!! I’d love to get avails of a leg or a whole small goat to smoke.
I checked with my local health food store and asked them for local ranches that sell to guys like me. They gave me a list of about 15 within 45 minutes of town. I'm sure there's something like that around you that maybe you could source some good local meat.

I plan to get a whole goat soon and smoke it up for a taco party.
Never had goat but would try those for sure! NICE JOB

There is an episode dedicated to goat (cabrito) on the Taco Chronicles on Netflix and there are definitely some fantatics.
I was in the middle of Taco Chronicles and then decided to cancel my subscription. I never got to that episode, but I loved that show!

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great! Never had goat before either... and no, I'm not pulling your leg! :emoji_blush: care to share your boom sauce recipe?

Ryan
I mess around with White Sauce a lot. This one was pretty basic. I just cut the mayo down with some sweet and acidity and added some SPG.

8 oz Mayo
2 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
1 oz Lemon Juice
3 oz Apple Cider (Apple Juice works)
SPG to taste
Adding some hot sauce like Tabasco or Texas Pete works really well, too.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky