Goat leg in Smokin-it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ahakohda

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 29, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
So I came across full leg of goat and decided to give it a try.

Basically I separated leg somewhere in the middle and used whatever meat was there for some kebabs in Grillex.

Bottom part was stuffed all over with cubes of smoked salo (pork fatback) and rubbed with Smoke Ring Championship BBQ Rub. Left it wrapped in the fridge for 3 days.

42192c65_photo32.jpg

Heated up Smokin-it model 2 and loaded it with apple chips. Cooked at 225F and it was there for around 8 hours till 160F internal.

662a342e_photo33.jpg

I'll tell you meat itself was very nice plus all those cubes of fat infused juices throughout. And Just to make it fun I sprinkled some Smoke Ring BBQ sauce on meat and it is the very best sauce I ever tasted. Right combination of sweet and tangy with spice kick on its tale.

Wife was very happy.

Last edited:
Does look good.Pork fat a nice touch.I enjoyed the goat I did in my MES but being honest I think  lamb came out a lot better. Goat is so lean,makes great curry,or cooked in red sauce Calabrian style.

Great challenge looks like you nailed it.

My best indicator is my 6yo daughter. She is so picky in what she eats......But to my surprise she asked for more of it. Maybe she was extra hungry though.....:):)

It was an unusual to me experiment both in meat type and cooking that meat.
I don’t have an easy access to goat meat. So I never cooked it again.
But if you got goat leg - try it. If i ever do it again I will try to go for 205 internal. Like pulled pork.

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky