GMG Daniel Boon Hotspots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Homeslice

Original poster
Jul 13, 2019
Hey all!

New to the forum.

I have had a GMG smoker for 2 years and I love it overall. However, it has one issue that even the company can't seem to resolve. The right side of the grill gets way hotter than the left. I've moved the diffuser, adjusted all the grates and steel plating, tried to use heat deflectors...nothing. Everytime I cook I have to babysit the thing because food on the right will literally burn while stuff on the right won't even be half done. I want to love this grill but this ongoing issue has really turned me off.

I would welcome any advice. I wanted a pellet grill because the point was supposed to be that you don't have to babysit it.

Thanks!

Has anyone used a Dan Godke downdraft? It’s supposed to even out exhaust side to the left side temperatures for like $60.

Has anyone used a Dan Godke downdraft? It’s supposed to even out exhaust side to the left side temperatures for like $60.
That's in interesting idea. I always assumed it was a problem with the heat shield/spreader being angled and closer to the heat cup on the right side. Ill have to read up on this.

Thanks!

Hey all!

New to the forum.

I have had a GMG smoker for 2 years and I love it overall. However, it has one issue that even the company can't seem to resolve. The right side of the grill gets way hotter than the left. I've moved the diffuser, adjusted all the grates and steel plating, tried to use heat deflectors...nothing. Everytime I cook I have to babysit the thing because food on the right will literally burn while stuff on the right won't even be half done. I want to love this grill but this ongoing issue has really turned me off.

I would welcome any advice. I wanted a pellet grill because the point was supposed to be that you don't have to babysit it.

Thanks!
I have the GMG DB also and had a big issue with temp differences initially. I used a dual probe thermometer with probes placed at both ends and moved the diffuser little by little until I found the sweet spot. Once I was confident it was as good as I could get it, I fashioned a gauge of the exact measurement from the right of the cooking chamber. When I clean the fire pot, I replace the dffuser, hold the gauge against the end of the smoker, then slide the diffuser up to the gauge. Works like a champ and my difference is now 5 to 7 degrees. It took a lot of fussing, but the gauge makes it a repeatable and predictable result

Reactions: Homeslice
I drilled a hole through the body next to the drip bucket chute, welded a nut to the diffuser box and a piece of bar to the end of a 10” long chunk of threaded bar. Slide the bar through the hole, thread it into the nut and pull it back and forth to balance the temp.

Reactions: Homeslice
Can I test the temperatures with the probes that came with my grill? Can I lay them on the grates?

Thanks

242B1FA1-60E7-446F-ADDA-484CF8FEC992.png
Can I test the temperatures with the probes that came with my grill? Can I lay them on the grates?

Thanks
I wouldn’t do that. Get a thermometer with grate clips. I use an inkbird ibt-4xs
These were my side by side temps on a cook today. One probe on left and one on right side of grill, 7 spaces in on the grate, facing outward. Grill was set at 275. The 149 temp reading was the probe inside the meat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky