Glazed Sticky Buns with Pecans (Pic Heavy and Que View!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
dd.jpg

G'Morning Y'all! I decided to play around yesterday and make something I haven't made in a looong time, like Home Ec Class in Middle School I think haha. This current world situation has not been kind to my cholesterol and overall health :emoji_sweat_smile: So I am always on a YouTube cooking binge and earmark some videos for later recreation. I went on a tangent of sticky buns and settled on a final recipe from Joshua Weissman (linked if interested). I'll include all the pertinent info below.

Preparations:

Tangzhong (new to me and so worth it):
  • 1.5 Tbsp (15g) All Purpose Flour​
  • 1.5 Tbsp (20g) Milk​
  • 1.5 Tbsp (20g) Water​
Dough:
  • 2.5 Tsp (9g) Dry Active Yeast
  • 1/2 Cup (120 ml) Warm Milk ~100°F
  • 3 Cups (443g) All Purpose Flour
  • 3 Tbsp (44g) Granulated Sugar
  • 3/4 Tsp (2g) salt
  • 2.5 Tbsp (55g) Water
  • 2 Eggs Room Temp
  • 3.5 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Softened
Filling:
  • 5 Tbsp (70g) Unsalted Butter, Melted
  • 1/2 Cup (125g) Dark Brown Sugar (I used Light, all I had)
  • 2.5 Tbsp (5g) Cinnamon
  • Pinch Allspice
  • Pinch Nutmeg (Freshly Grated Preferred)
Glaze:
  • 1/2 Cup (115g) Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 Cup (115g) Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tbsp (51g) Honey
  • 1 1/4 Cups (140g) Toasted Pecans, Crushed
Directions:
  • Warm the Milk up to 100°F and add the Yeast. Mix and set aside.
  • Make Tangzhong
    • Heat ingredients over low heat until a thick paste forms and set aside
  • Sift and Mix Dry Ingredients in Stand Mixer (or bowl and whisk)
    • Flour, Salt, Granulated Sugar
  • Add Milky Yeast and Water
  • Add Tangzhong
  • Mix on Med-Low to combine
  • One at a time, add each Egg and let fully incorporate
  • Let this mix for 5-6 mins, scraping sides occasionaly
  • Add Softened Butter 1 Tbsp at a time (3 times) and mix until incorporated
  • Let mix for 5 more minutes
    • If Dough is too wet, add a Tbsp of flour at a time until a dough ball forms (I ended up adding 1 Tbsp of flour)
    • If dough is too dry, add a Tbsp of water at a time until dough ball forms
  • Remove Dough Ball and Place in a buttered dish and cover with Damp Towel or Saran Wrap
    • Place in a warm spot (turned off oven) for 90 minutes to let rise.
      • Should at least double in size
  • Remove dough and place on a well floured surface and let rest for 10 mins covered by a damp towel
  • Make Glaze
    • Place Glaze ingredients in small pan and heat to combine (minus pecans) and set aside
  • Roll Dough out into a Rectangle around 20" long and maybe 12"-15" tall
  • Brush on 5 Tbsp of melted butter... yes... that's what he said and what I did!
  • Cover with Filling Mix side to side but leave a small gap at top and bottom edge for sealing
  • Roll up slowly into log
  • Cut log into 9 equal pieces
  • Generously Butter a 9"x9" pan
  • Pour Glaze into pan
  • Cover with Pecans
  • Arrange 9 rolls
  • Cover and let rise for 45 minutes
  • Preheat oven to 350°F
  • Bake for 30-35 mins
    • I checked at 30 mins and the tops were getting brown so I covered in foil
    • Bake til internal temp is 190°F-200°F
      • Hard to do toothpick test on this one
  • Remove and let cool in baking dish for 5-7 minutes (don't want the sugar to harden
  • Place a plate over the dish and flip over to reveal!
  • Let cool a few minutes and tear in!

Pics in Post 2... I may have reached some limits... haha

Final Thoughts:

These are not hard to make. They just take some time for all the proofing. I initially thought these would be a pain with the Tangzhong and steps but this was really easy to make and I highly recommend this recipe! The buns are so incredibly soft and light. The glaze is sweet and sticky. The crunch from the pecans round this out into a phenomenal experience!

The wife gave a resounding and indistinguishable mouth full mumble with a thumbs up.

Thanks for "sticking" with me on this...

tenor.gif

Cheers Y'all! Stay Safe and Wash your hands!

Zach

Last edited:
Beautiful piece of work, nothing like a little whisky break on a project like that, Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! I did forget to include the whiskey break in the steps... Insert as necessary, where necessary should cover it! :emoji_laughing:

Zach those buns look beautiful.....seriously nice job!

I would gladly take some of those leftovers.

LIKE!

John

Thanks John! Just had one reheated. Not as good. But still really darn good!

A hot cup of black coffee and those buns would be a perfect start to the day. Big Props to you!

Thanks! It was quite the late night sugar rush last night too haha.

I made these this morning View attachment 441158

Those look great! We were gonna do cinnamon rolls before we settled on these. Will have to get a batch of those made up soon too.

Wow zach! They look pretty darn tasty!

I knew it was a mistake to open this post early in the morning. I need a sticky bun with my coffee now.

like!
Thanks! They would be great made the night before and popped in the oven at first cup of coffee!

last time I had those was when I was in kid in Northern Indiana. Can't find them here in Oklahoma.

BIG like for this post!!!!!
Thanks! It's actually a pretty straight forward recipe. Just don't start it at like 6 pm like I did :emoji_laughing: that sugar rush carried us into the late night!

Too much work for me to make - but I would eat as many as you would give me! Like!

Thanks! Its not as labor intensive if you have a stand mixer. Lots of waiting though. Unfortunately they are all gone now. Next time!

Nice work on those , and points for using the cutting board .

I haven't had anything to drink in 14 days 3 hours and 15 minutes .
You guys are F'n killing me .

Stay strong! If that's the goal anyway...

The board takes up a good chunk of the counter so it gets used a lot. One of my better investments!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky