Glazed Doughnut burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
At the fairs, at least the ones in So Cal you see a few booths with glazed doughnut burgers. It always sounded weird to me, I love both, but together? I dunno. But I decided to try one, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I'd go over the top and make some home made brown sugar Bacon, because why not make it even sweeter. I did my usual smash burger patties, about 3oz each, a few slices of deli deluxe American cheese, the Bacon I mentioned and of course glazed doughnuts. With a simple seasoning of salt on the meat.

It was sweet, which took my brain a minute to compute, it was salty from the meat + Bacon + cheese. My problems with it were, using 2 full doughnuts was not great. I should have cut one in half. Also Ralphs glazed doughnuts from the deli section are borderline terrible imho. They're very thick and kind of tough, and the flavor's not the best. They don't almost melt in your mouth like a good glazed doughnut does. I suspect the dough's overworked or not made properly, a doughnut should be much better than this, and I've eaten them 6 or 7 different times now. And they always are the same. I heated them up so they weren't quite as tough, but I've never liked the texture. It would have been infinitely better with Krispy Kremes. As you can probably see from the pic, the slices of Bacon were absolutely massive. lol, I should have cut them in half but the flavor was great and it was nice and thick. If I ever make these again, which I probably will. I'll use normal thick cut Bacon.

Once my pallet and brain adjusted to the burger being sweet, it wasn't bad. 2 doughnuts + 6oz of meat + the bacon and cheese made for quite a heavy burger. The "2" slices of Bacon I used probably equaled to 10 from somewhere like Carl's Jr or Wendy's lol. I regret eating all of it, I felt kind of too full afterward. And while I won't be making them often, it was an interesting change of pace. It was better than I expected, next time with Krispy Kreme's I know it will be a lot tastier. It could have used a sauce, but I had absolutely no clue what to make. Mayo? sounds disgusting. BBQ? NOPE! Ketchup? yuck. Thousand Island? Yeah, no... I usually whip up tasty random sauces for sandwiches, but I couldn't come up with anything in my brain here. Not even the slightest idea. If anyone reads this and has a sauce idea I'm all ears.

doughnut burger.jpg

I would try to eat that , with a smile on my face and a lump in my belly. I try things that are off coarse from normal so my wife says. But sometimes it just has to be tried
That is a good looking burger. Just a little too high for me. LOL not
David

Reactions: Bigheaded
LMAO!!! My heart imploded as soon as I saw your picture.
I couldn't do it, but then again there is an old dive bar out here on the California Delta that has been there since 1915 called "Al The Wop's" and they put peanut butter and jelly on garlic bread, steaks and burgers, and it ain't awful.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
1616931505647.png

Definitely need a few extra napkins with that one, but it does look tastey.

Point for sure
Chris

Not sure about it either but with a good doughnut cut in half I'd sure give it a try! Definitely get an A for thinking outside the box! We just recently had ramen noodle grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon added!

Ryan

I’ve had them in Nashville quite awhile ago. Donut was cut in half. I loved the contrast of the sweet with the salty cheese and bacon. A few jalapeños fried would really be good with it.

That's a onetime must eat. Your burger is so large with a lot going on in it, I'd have to share 1/2 with Mrs. Wurtz! Agree, a little savory would be great to balance the sweet. Idea: use a different glaze like Maple or Chocolate glaze/icing or make mini-burgers/sliders with a mini-glazed or iced doughnut?🍻
John

Looks good! There are a couple drive in type places around here that sell them. Krispy Kreme type donuts cut in half. If you ever get bored with that you can go to the fair and get a deep fried stick of butter!

A slice (ring?) of pineapple gives a similar sweetness without your fingers getting sticky with the unconventional bun. Still, I'm not quite there. The sour cream addition may be to my liking (not sure the spice is) and a sweet and sour sauce may work too.

I have seen those on TV and would love at least one bite. Not sure I could eat a whole one, but it sure looks good!
Al

Even if you could, it's not a good idea. I'm sure a single with 1 much smaller doughnut cut in half would still be a lot to digest lol.

Looks delicious although I'm probably the only one in my house who would eat one..definitely need to give this a try with some krispy kreme donuts and I'm thinking maybe even a fried egg on top..

WHY didn't I think of that! Thanks to my mom ages ago Fried Eggs became maybe my favorite burger topping. Wow I think you just cracked the code to what this burger was missing thank you. And the runny yoke how I cook it would work as a burger sauce too. Now I need to go look up if you can make a fried egg on a smoker and get it smokey tasting.. Waiting for the seasoning to finish on my new smoker and I need something quick to make.

Even if you could, it's not a good idea. I'm sure a single with 1 much smaller doughnut cut in half would still be a lot to digest lol.

WHY didn't I think of that! Thanks to my mom ages ago Fried Eggs became maybe my favorite burger topping. Wow I think you just cracked the code to what this burger was missing thank you. And the runny yoke how I cook it would work as a burger sauce too. Now I need to go look up if you can make a fried egg on a smoker and get it smokey tasting.. Waiting for the seasoning to finish on my new smoker and I need something quick to make.
74-4347f8a47a93_1.48821e3906a55f41fdb81181e6d3549c.jpg
(available through at least Walmart.com . love the stuff so much more than Big Mac or fry sauce)
maybe some of this stuff too with that fried egg, and a tough enough donut to withstand a little patty melt smash..

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky