Glaze for ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
I am smoking two spiral cut hams for Christmas this year for the family. I was trying to decide on what to use as a glaze. I have read about several glazes using apple jelly as a base. I have a bottle of Captain Rodneys I was thinking about using as a base but I was wondering what flavors to put with it. Anyone got any ideas?

I used a Sarsaparilla baste on a 12# ham at Easter. Doing it for Xmas also we liked it so much
1½ cup pineapple juice
5 tablespoons sarsaparilla
4 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter

Combine the pineapple juice, sarsaparilla, sugar, and butter water in a small saucepan. Heat over med-high heat, stirring frequently until the sugar is dissolved.
Place the ham in a shallow roasting pan. Cover with the pineapple juice mixture, and then smoke/bake until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, 3-3½ hours, basting with the pineapple mixture about every 30 minutes or so.

Little late to the party, this recipe from Bearcarver is really good:

Glaze:
Brown Sugar-------------------------1/2 Cup
Maple Syrup--------------------------1/3 Cup
Ground Mustard-----------------------1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon---------------------1/4 tsp
Ground Ginger------------------------1/8 tsp
Ground Cloves------------------------1/8 tsp
Ground Nutmeg-----------------------1/8 tsp

Heat in Microwave, and stir well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky