Glass one gallon jugs for wine.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I getting my mustang grape wine going today. All my equipment is for 6 gallon batches and this just going to be 2 gallons. First fermentation will be fine in my 8 gallon bucket but than need something smaller for second that will have small head space. Think 2 one gallon bottles would work but can't find anything reasonable. I will need something in a week. Any ideas what to use or where to get? Cheap plastic will let oxygen in. Soon as this taking its 6 month nap I going to get some blueberry going so will need some more. When time to bottle think just use my Grolsch beer bottles.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
BOTH great ideas! Also start grabbing wine bottles for the finished product.

I going to need several so trying to keep cost down. This first stab at this and not sure if even going to be any good at this point. I going to post on craigslist.

Reactions: zwiller
There you go. Guarantee those guys have some. Brewery not doing growlers? Most have a special one day of the week where it's a good deal to grab one. Get airlocks, stoppers, etc too.

Member of Prime? These look doable to me.

I just looked at a couple of the microbreweries for growler pricing.... the 1/2 gallon bottles are $20. But that price includes the beer! Is brown better for wine too?

Growler.jpg

So I broke down and ordered some. One is broke and have to send all back. No kind of packing in them. Hell they pack tooth brushes better. My fermenter is air tight and should be full of Co2. It is 8 gallon and only have 2 gallons in it. Guess can wait another week but good chance it will be broke also.

20210924_163308.jpg

Attachments

• 20210916_140332.jpg
    20210916_140332.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
U can always get a jug of Carlos Rossi wine from the store for like $7 and pour it out then clean the container and rock on with it until your 4 pack comes back in safe and sound.

If u buy the "Burgandy" Carlos Rossi you may want to save that wine to use for braised beef and other dishes. It's my goto cheapo braising wine and had a jug for years I use and it's still good to go :)

Reactions: gsb77
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky