Giving my mini a test with a big butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
Decided to do a 11.5 lb butt on my mini for the supper bowl.

Sams club twin pack.

Nice looking meat

Rubbed with Jeffs rub and in fridge overnight.

On the smoker at 6 am.

At 10 hours it was at 201 IT.

Fell apart getting it off the grate.

Nice smoke ring

Made pp nachos

My supper.

I went 9 hours on a full basket.

Pretty happy with that.

Thanks for looking.

Looks Great Adam. Sure is fun doing long smokes on the mini. Pretty much set and forget! I have two butts in the freezer that I will be smoking soon. Thinking I will do both in the mini at the same time. One on top and the other on the bottom. Plan on doing a higher temp smoke 265°-285°.

How long can you go on a full basket Case?

I averaged 250 on this cook.

How long can you go on a full basket Case?

I averaged 250 on this cook.
The longest that I have gone at 265° was 8 hours. Then I started losing temp and had to add more. That was starting with a pre lit chimney. I have been using Keith's method of just lighting one side but haven't done a long smoke. I have been using lump lately too. It burns quicker than briquettes.

Oh yeah and by the way no matter what my wife has been telling ya all I'm no Basket Case!
hit.gif
ROTF.gif

LOL  sorry.

I use Keith's method for lighting and his reflex insulation idea too.   It really helps with the fuel usage.

LOL  sorry.

I use Keith's method for lighting and his reflex insulation idea too.   It really helps with the fuel usage.
I haven't needed insulation this winter. We finally got snow yesterday, all melted off now. We are supposed to get a cold snap tonight and for the next couple days down into the single digits with highs in the teens. Maybe I'll finally have an excuse to buy some to try!

Using the minion method for eight hours at 250 or just a full chimney of hot burning lump?  Also if yours is a Silver are you just leaving the bottom vent 2/3 open?  more or less vent?

I have a gold.  Minion method with a overstuffed basket of briqs.

If you were talking to me.

Thanks Martin.

Wish we could sent samples over the computer LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky