Gifting BBQ Meals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

highlife4me

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Southern Mn
Since the governor in my state has basically shut down all social gatherings and I have not been able to have my family and friends over to enjoy some good BBQ, I am thinking of smoking up a bunch of ribs and chicken and probably make a few sides as well to freeze so they can reheat later. I am looking for some good tips on what to do or not to do since I have never really froze BBQ to reheat later. I do have a vac sealer and will be getting a bunch of storage containers to use as well. I just don't want to turn this into something I regret attempting to try. Any advice would be appreciated.

I vacuum seal almost all my leftovers. I also purposely smoke more then we can eat when I fire up the grill or smoker. I love taking them into work for future lunches or for a quick meal sometime down the road. Reheating depends on the situation. At work I have to use a microwave. At home or at a party I'll either reheat in a pot of simmering water or in the oven(at a low temp). When I vacuum seal liquidy items like soups or chili I'll put them in an unsealed vacuum bag and semi-freeze them before laying the vacuum to the bag.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I'll take the AuJus, defat it then freeze it in an ice cube tray. I'll add a cube or so when vac packing. Don't have to concern myself with moisture in the seal or machine.
To reheat place it in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.

RG

I've been bagging meals for my Mom . Just makes it easy for her , being by herself . For her I 'll put the meat and sides in the bag , and like Chris I put the open bag in the freezer if it's wet .
The ice cube trays are a good idea . I've done that with some stuff .

Just wanted to this add to what was already said . Be careful if you're bagging BBQ sauced items . If the sauce is high in sugar it can melt the bags if reheated in the microwave .

Reactions: gmc2003
Just wanted to this add to what was already said . Be careful if you're bagging BBQ sauced items . If the sauce is high in sugar it can melt the bags if reheated in the microwave .

Good point, I usually take the contents out of the bag and put it into one of those Chinese take out containers to bring to work. Never even thought to nuke it in the bag.

Chris

Most of the vac bags are safe to nuke , or boil in . I believe she thaws and puts on a plate too .

Really good ideas! Let me add a vacuum sealer to the list, usually just have a few dinners planned out in secession.

For me, the most important thing for cook-ahead things like ribs or brisket is cooling them down very fast. I use a 80 quart cooler with an icy slurry. and either a 2.5 gallon zipper bag, or a brine bucket liner. After they are chilled I either double wrap in foil with some liquids if people will reheat in the oven, of a vacuum bag if they will reheat in a water bath or Nesco style roaster.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky