Giant Foods, Australian grass fed beef tenderloin onsale

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks...I swear it's a conspiracy! Steaks, rib roasts and high end cuts always seem to go on sale the last week of the month when I'm tapped out...JJ

You might want to second guess your decision, I bought a whole Aussie tenderloin one time cause the price was so low.
And it was not a very good piece of meat. It was chewy & dry, I ended up grinding it up for burgers.
Al

Last one I bought,I roasted half and it tasted like cardboard.Worst tenderloin or beef period that I had in a long while.I used the other half to make burger instead of it being dog food.

Can't say I ever had Aussie Grass Fed Beef. Grass fed is all the rage in posh restaurants. Me, I'll stick with good old Corn Fed Mid-Western Beef, dry aged when I can afford it. It's not the best food for the steer but dang, sure makes them taste good...JJ

Reactions: phathead69
You might want to second guess your decision, I bought a whole Aussie tenderloin one time cause the price was so low.
And it was not a very good piece of meat. It was chewy & dry, I ended up grinding it up for burgers.
Al

Al, around 80% of the beef produced in Australia, as well as New Zealand, are grass fed, and finished. The remainder are grass fed then finished on grain for a minimum of 60 days. In the U.S., grain fed, and finished, is the norm though there are a very few producers that grass feed then grain finish.

When compared to grain fed, grass fed beef has far less marbling hence the"chewy & dry" result. On the flip side, grass fed beef is far more robust and have a deeper flavor than grain fed which, to some, is neutral, if not boring. In the end, it's a trade off based upon what one prefers and is accustomed to. I happen to like grass fed and grain finished and my wife is grain fed all the way. She usually wins.

Regarding price, Australian beef will normally beat the U.S., especially with grass fed beef raised in the U.S., even when factoring in shipping costs. Compared to the U.S., grassland pastures for grazing in Australia are abundant and inexpensive. Not so in the U.S. Weather also plays a factor in that it rarely freezes in cattle raising areas in Australia and the cattle can graze year round. That's not the case in much of the cattle raising areas in the U.S. As such, most of the grass fed beef that you'll find available at retail, especially at very competitive prices, in the U.S. comes from Australia.

Last edited:
Al

I have to agree with Al.
I got Aussie GF Beef Tenderloin twice, because it was so cheap---$6.99 to $10.99.
It wasn't terrible, but it was nothing like the American Choice Tenderloin for $14.99 to $17.99 per pound.
I doubt I would get it again if it was over $6.99.
I'll probably go back to being in a Tenderloin Free household.

Bear

I think bear carver hit it,are these graded, if not they are probably below the select grade, just like a lot of Mexican beef, cheap but terrible.

Beef tenderloin, rib eye and strip loin are three cuts that should NEVER need to be stewed or braised to be edible. The tenderloin via its location does little to nothing. No activity means little to no connective tissue and therefore should be extremely tender. In contrast the brisket and shoulder, Chuck, are very active muscles and are loaded with connective tissue. Hence they require Low and Slow smoking or have to be cooked in liquid, Nana's Pot Roast.
If this Aussie tenderloin is so tough that it needs to be cooked in sauce, than it is only a " TENDERloin " in common name and the location on the animal it's found. Good God! If the tenderloin is tough and dry, then the Brisket must only be good for Bullet Proof Vests...JJ

I'll be sure to not list anymore sales.

Please don't do that. Your input is important too.
If you hadn't mentioned it, there wouldn't be reviews on it. It's the accumulation of reviews, whether Plus or Minus that help us decide whether or not to buy something.
This is why most people on this Forum ask questions on this forum, instead of reading the reviews on the internet.
Most members of this forum trust the answers from this forum to be truthful, but the answers on the internet may not be.

Bear

Bear is correct. Without the guys saying how bad the tenderloins are, many folks, including myself, having the funds would have jumped on the deal only to be disappointed. I/we can't thank you enough for starting an educational discussion...JJ

Interestingly the tenderloin I got was tender and flavorful and a great value at $6.99. I'd have no problem investing in another if the opportunity presents itself.

For those experiencing these being tough or chewy maybe the cooking method was a bit off. Tenderloin is easy to screw up and go from tender med/rare to grainy shoe leather in very short order no matter what feed it was fed.

Maybe you read something I didn't say?
I said, QUOTE "It wasn't terrible, but it was nothing like the American Choice Tenderloin".
Nothing like shoe leather.
And I smoked it just like I smoke all my good cuts of Beef, including all of my Prime Ribs.
Twice was enough.

Bear

All just opinions and observations. None right or wrong. There are a bunch of guys that enjoy the membrane on pork Ribs. Others think we are nuts and jump through hoops to remove it. Seems like a good time to say, " thanks to all for your input, " and move on...JJ

I hate to be that guy but last Christmas i bought 2 Aussie grass fed tenderloins at Food lion for 7.99/# and they were both awesome flavor and tender and grilled up into nice steaks. So i would dis-count meat form Australia right off the bat.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

My circle of friends, golfing/hunting/fishing buddies is comprised of wealthy successful DRs and professionals. We've been to the Prime steakhouses, all the best restaurants around. We have different tastes in food. One thing we all agree on, is that the Giant Australian grass fed beef tenderloin filet mignons, when prepared over charcoal and served rare to med rare are absolutely fantastic. I just stocked up on (7) tenderloins for hunting season and the holidays.

Attachments

• 20201012_172555.jpg
    20201012_172555.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 7
They always come off the grill juicy and flavorful. So tender you can cut ot with a fork.

Attachments

• 20201012_174034.jpg
    20201012_174034.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 7
I tried a Aussie Grass fed Beef Tenderloin a few years ago.
It was pretty good, I thought, for the $10.99 I paid, so I got a couple more @ $6.99.
AUGCH!!! Disgusting!!
Tried again---Same thing!!
Never again.
Tasted like a Wet Dog Smells!!!

Bear

My circle of friends, golfing/hunting/fishing buddies is comprised of wealthy successful DRs and professionals. We've been to the Prime steakhouses, all the best restaurants around.
My buddies wear white work pants and stand in the mud all day . We've been to some of the sleaziest places around . Long necks , women and wings .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky