1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ghost pepper biltong

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by Holly2015, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

1/4 cup toasted coriander
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    5g of dried ghost peppers
    5g of black pepper
    Malt vinegar
    Worcestershire sauce

6+ pounds of eye of round trimmed and sliced about 3/4" thick and ingredient assembled

B1.jpg

Toasting the corriander

B2.jpg

All dry ingredient went into the magic bullet to be blended than into this highly specialized biltong spice applicator. This actually works great for applying rubs to other meats as well and cost about $1 at the local restaurant supply store

B3.jpg

Dust the bottom of a non-reactive bowl with the spice mix and then drizzle in a bit of vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Then place the 1st layer of meat in. Then another layer of spice, vinegar and Worcestershire until all the meat is used.

B4.jpg

After all the meat is layer in cover an put into a refrigerator for up to 24 hours. I am going to go about 8 hours. No matter what time you pick (longer more salty) flip the meats over 1/2 way through the cure.

B5.jpg

I have a dehydrator that can be set at 95 degrees Fahrenheit so I have not bothered to build a biltong box. After the meats cure I'll pull them out of the cure and drip over the sink for a minute or two then into the dehydrator set at 95 degrees for 18 t 24 hours I will also check the meats periodically for dryness. You want them firm but with just a little "give" when you gently squeeze them.

My last batch of biltong was just coriander, salt and vinegar and it was bland. Another note is I actually do not like coriander all that much. When I 1st took the meat off the dehydrator and sampled it was not good and had a very strong coriander flavor. I bundled up a bunch of it and took to work where people raved about it. I had one pack left in the fridge and had written it off when 4 days later my mom stopped over and I asked if she wanted to try it. I cut up a few slivers and the flavors had settled down, melded and were actually quite good. So just like smoking cheese a little aging made all the difference.

Scott Eisenbraun and Taxili like this.
  2. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

If you happen to have any pics of the finished product, I'd love to see them.

P.S. My TQ was a day late getting here from Amazon but I got my dried beef going yesterday based on info provided by you and Bearcarver. Can't wait to see how that turns out

Robert

3. Scott Eisenbraun

Scott Eisenbraun Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

So is Biltong just a thicker version of our jerky? I know it is a favorite for game meat in South Africa.

4. Holly2015

Biltong and jerky are cousins. Both are dried meats but prepped differently.

5. Holly2015

I'll post up some more pictures as the process continues. At 10:00 I flipped the meats and back into the fridge for another 4 hours.

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looking forward to seeing the final product!
    Looks great so far!
    Al

7. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm also waiting to to see the finished product. As I think I'm ready to make the leap into the next phase of smoking.

Chris

8. Holly2015

Almost 9 hours later out of the marinade and into the dehydrator set at 95 degrees. Smells really good.

5A8B20C3-2E29-4A9B-A864-015A412F4063.jpeg

9. Holly2015

C9D82070-2AA5-4C3C-B464-FE070F567E6F.jpeg 22 hours in and some pieces will be done soon others will need 8 or more hours. Looking great so far.

10. Holly2015

AA10A09D-9AF5-4684-85F7-C6F79556396E.jpeg 2459C8F2-D87A-43EC-AF30-3B2FBA577EB9.jpeg Here it is all done. Most of it took about 35 hours one thick piece took 40+ hours. Final result is good.

crazymoon and Scott Eisenbraun like this.
  11. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

H2015, Looks excellent!