Getting the temperature up!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trebor

Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Hi, 

I got a Pro Q Smoker for Christmas and have smoked a few things already!

I have had a bit of trouble getting the temperature up and stable.  I wanted it at 230 degrees but could only seem to get it to stay at 190 for 4 hours.  Then after that it shot up to 240.

Are there any good tips for getting a stable temperature in the smoker?

Many thanks

Paul

With regard to charcoal smokers...

I've found that if you take your time getting the fire going, it stays a lot hotter a lot longer,

if you get it up to temp quickly, it's going to require adding more fuel more often and be a cooler fire.

(or a much hotter fire, depending on how the fuel burns)

Has a lot to do with air flow,  smaller fuel constricts air flow around the fire and takes longer to

get burning,   really need a mix if smaller lumps and larger lumps.  I usually have 3 or 4 bags

of lumps open at the same time, sorted by size,  from small shake to large lumps, then just take

the size that I need.

Thanks for the tips, I will certainly try the different size fuels!

Hi,

I got a Pro Q Smoker for Christmas and have smoked a few things already!

I have had a bit of trouble getting the temperature up and stable.  I wanted it at 230 degrees but could only seem to get it to stay at 190 for 4 hours.  Then after that it shot up to 240.

Are there any good tips for getting a stable temperature in the smoker?

Many thanks

Paul
You should describe what you are doing now to start and maintain your fire, then we can give you a better analysis and recommendations.

What kind of fuel are you using? How much do you use to start your fire? How much do you use to maintain it?

Are you using the "Minion Method"? Is the Pro Q a bullet smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain?

BTW 240° is a fine temp for cooking BBQ, although it is a bit on the low side for me. YMMV.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky