Getting that itch - Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Little-m

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Winnipeg
Last year I snagged a small Brinkman barrel charcoal smoker for $20 at a yard sale and was impressed by the quality of cooks it produced. The water pan really made a difference, at least to this pellet pooper owner. Meat turned out nice and moist; very little temperature variance - you know, the kind of problems the pellet smoker owner may or may not complain about.

Fast forward to this morning where I find a used Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 for sale. After doing some reading on this site, a godly halo begins to form around this thing and I realize this could be everything I ever wanted in a BBQ/smoker. Real charcoal BBQing, real smoking if you want it, no fuss, blah blah.

What I'm curious about though is whether any Masterbuilt owner has ever toyed with adding a (small?) pot of water to help keep the meat moist. I'm looking at the build and wonder if a pan under the grill is effective in maintaining meat moist through a cook, regardless of how long it may take. So, has anyone played with this idea, and if so, what were your results?

Thanks,

You can add a pan of water to just about any smoker... I say grab it and get to making delicious things with it!

Reactions: PPG1
Not sure where to put one but masterbuilt says you can. I also seen one online a combo drip pan water pan (out of stock of course). I dont own a MB gravity but if I didn't have so much time Invested into my current smoker I'd be getting one.

Yes. I have always run a water pan on my 1050. Either water pain on the main rack right under the food on the middle rack, or on the main rack near the firebox. Found a couple of pictures of various setups

232AB4CB-7772-4245-8AE9-BEE0F3A1660D.jpeg

D0A4ADE6-3CD5-43A6-BC0A-127D15881CE3.jpeg

Reactions: PPG1 and Johnny Ray
I think the 560 is already a good price when new in the box.
Compare a new (ceramic) Kamado, pellet spitter or intro level (real) stick burner, all are at or above the 560 price wise.

Last year I snagged a small Brinkman barrel charcoal smoker for $20 at a yard sale and was impressed by the quality of cooks it produced. The water pan really made a difference, at least to this pellet pooper owner. Meat turned out nice and moist; very little temperature variance - you know, the kind of problems the pellet smoker owner may or may not complain about.

Fast forward to this morning where I find a used Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 for sale. After doing some reading on this site, a godly halo begins to form around this thing and I realize this could be everything I ever wanted in a BBQ/smoker. Real charcoal BBQing, real smoking if you want it, no fuss, blah blah.

What I'm curious about though is whether any Masterbuilt owner has ever toyed with adding a (small?) pot of water to help keep the meat moist. I'm looking at the build and wonder if a pan under the grill is effective in maintaining meat moist through a cook, regardless of how long it may take. So, has anyone played with this idea, and if so, what were your results?

Thanks,
What's the price on the used one? Walmart just posted a sale on 560s this morning, check the post that BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma made in the same sub thread (charcoal smokers) a few minutes ago.

You might be able to get a new one for about the same price as the used one. Or beat up the guy selling the used one. If he is selling it, I bet it's never used.

Wow that is a good price. The only caveat is I live in Canada and shipping isn't available north of 49 it seems. Blast this Covid - I'd get it shipped to the border and pick it up if I could....

Can't believe that border is still closed. I slipped over the border back when I was in high school just drove through a field can't do that now.

Can't believe that border is still closed. I slipped over the border back when I was in high school just drove through a field can't do that now.

I think things changed a bit since you were in high school lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky