Getting started on mini v3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nevillebartos

Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Been using my second build for some time now and it's been pretty awesome, I built that using a 36qt pot and making a bunch of holes in the bottom with a hole saw which worked out OK.  I now have for myself a 44qt pot and intend to go with the cut out method this time around.  Two questions before I begin - how big should I make the hole, and what should I use to do it?  Figured I'd jigsaw it but have never tried cutting a circle in metal before and could use some tips, I'm not such a great jigsaw operator.

I cut my 36qt about an inch maybe an inch and a half from the outside... a found a variable speed jig saw with a fine metal cutting blade run quarter to half speed worked best... Make sure you put a lil pressure down on the saw so it doesn't jump up in the air on ya ... Drill a hole big enough inside of your drawn circle (I used a sharpie) for the blade to go in for the start of the cut... cut your way out to the drawn line and then follow the line...

Last edited:
Thanks mate will give it a go shortly and post results, might even have the whole thing knocked up by sundown 

As for the size, I have always left 1 1/4" of metal around the edge. To make the circle find center of your pot drill a small hole. Put a nail or other pin in the hole. Tie a string to it. Hold string on a sharpie and draw circle.

All done and currently testing / seasoning, will get back with full results after a bit of use, will likely rig the cyberq up to this one for kicks so should have some temp logs for you guys as well

edit:  bang on my set 225f and steady, noticeable efficiency over the holes method but my only concern is I need the vents so far closed it's bordering putting the fuel out... working under a nice evening with ambient of 22c and zero wind, not sure how we'll go on a hot day under the sun.  Struggle to recall the old money but I cut the hole 250mm in a 340mm pot, the diffuser I am currently running is 280mm, thinking I could bump it up to a 300 to give me some more wiggle with the vents?

Last edited:
Stainless pot from bayou classic, done a number of cooks now and has been going great, still need to get a charcoal ring sorted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky