Getting ready to wrap the butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goldmine1965

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Iowa
Pork butt is at 192 and getting ready to wrap it and put it in a cooler. Set GMG to 225 degree at 11pm and put the 8 lb butt in. Woke up at 8am and inserted the temp probe and it was 160.

15 hours total and it was at 192 degrees. I know each one is different and the time seems reasonable.

Maverick and the GMG had wildly varying temperature differences. Sometime the Maverick was dead on, some time it was 20 degrees higher and some times it was 10 degrees lower. Trying to lock in the temperature so they are close was frustrating. I think I will set the GMG to 10 degrees higher than my target temp and call it good.

Will post pics soon. But so far it has been enjoyable experience. Wife is making a ketchup based BBQ sauce and I am going with a Carolina mustard sauce.

Goldmine

must have had the Maverick probe touching a bone. It is only 180 degrees it other spots. So I will crank the temp up and leave it on.

Cranked up the heat to 275 and let it go to IT 195. Wrapping and putting it in the cooler. Because I did not foil at 165, I was expecting a darker bark. We will see the flavor in a few hours.

Last edited:

Thanks..my first butt. I actually just took it out of the cooler and put it in a 275 degree oven. I want to get it to IT 205 and then back in the cooler.
Why?  IMO, cook the butt until it's done to the tenderness you want, not to a specific temperature.

Why?  IMO, cook the butt until it's done to the tenderness you want, not to a specific temperature.
of all the different articles and posts I've read, wrapping it in foil, towels and putting it in a cooler seems to be the most common method.

of all the different articles and posts I've read, wrapping it in foil, towels and putting it in a cooler seems to be the most common method.
FTC is common, but that's not what I was asking. You mentioned wanting to cook it to 205. If the butt is fork tender at 195 for example, then there is no need to bring it to 205. Cook till done, not to a specific temp. As for FTC, it's a great way to hold food and keep it hot until you are ready to eat - it's not required to get good results. 

I see you posted your results and it looks fantastic - congrats. Pellet cooking does not impart as strong a smoke flavor as other smokers but there are things you can do to help. What type of pellets did you use?

I wouldn't go chasing after temperatures, I know with my Yoder I set it and forget it. I trust that the temperature I set my controller is going to work. I only use a pit probe to make sure I check the hopper on long cooks. Second cook out and I ran out of pellets. Hasn't happened in over two years but just in case.... If you are looking for more smoke try an AMNTS, I usually use it with brisket to add more smoke, otherwise my Yoder is fine with the smoke it puts out.

BTW, it looks damn good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky