German Brotchen Rolls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
First time making these (not SD)

The one I’m featuring here has an incredible crust, yet is moist and chewy inside. Since I like easy, I use my bread maker to make quick work of preparing the dough, but you can also prepare the dough using the spiral dough hooks of your electric mixer. The secret for the crispy crust? Egg whites and ice cubes!

Makes 12 (more if you roll smaller)

For the dough

1¼ cups (300 milliliters) lukewarm water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
1½ teaspoon (6 grams) sugar. (I used unbleached cane sugar)
1 tablespoon (14 grams) soft butter (room temperature)
3½ cups (455 grams) all-purpose flour, plus extra if needed
1 tablespoon (10 grams) instant yeast

Egg wash
1 egg white
2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) milk

For Baking
1 cup (about 150 grams) ice cubes

Preparing the dough and baking

Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

1. Put all bread dough ingredients, starting with 3½ cups of the flour, into the bread machine pan. (Follow manufacturer's recommended order.)
Set the bread machine to the DOUGH setting. This will take about 1½ hours.

NOTE: After the first few minutes, check that the dough isn't sticking to the sides and has formed a ball. If the dough is sticking, add a tablespoon of flour and let it knead; gradually add more if needed. The dough will be tacky, but should come together without sticking to the pan.

2. When dough is ready, remove it from the bread machine.

3. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently fold it several times. The dough will be very soft. If it’s too sticky, dust with a little more flour.

4. Form into a roll, about 12 to 16 inches long, and then cut into 12 equal parts.

5. Form each piece into a smooth ball by placing it into one hand. With the other fingers, pull up the outside edges and pinch into the middle several times, dusting fingers with flour if needed.

6. Place each of the small balls, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

7. Fifteen minutes before baking, set oven temperature to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). Place an empty baking tray on the bottom rack.

8. When oven is hot, gently brush rolls with egg wash (mix 1 egg white with 2 tablespoons milk). Cut a fairly deep slash in top of each roll with very sharp knife or lame blade.

9. Place rolls on the middle rack of the preheated oven and immediately place 1 cup of ice cubes on the hot baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven.

10. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully open oven door slightly to let any steam escape. Close the door and continue baking for another 3 to 5 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

11.Remove to a wire rack and let cool for about ½ hour before serving.

gbr.jpg

gbr1.jpg

gbr2.jpg

gbr3.jpg

Good looking rolls! I'm going to bookmark this one and try it next time I make rolls. Thanks for sharing.

These look awesome! After being in Germany for 4 years. And having these almost daily. I would love to find these again.

Form each piece into a smooth ball by placing it into one hand. With the other fingers, pull up the outside edges and pinch into the middle several times, dusting fingers with flour if needed.
Great tip . I've always done it top to bottom . Just put some rolls in the oven , so did the bottom to top . That's the way to go .

Roll are on a Roll lately!!
OK ,,,, no . Lol .

Tough to go low carb when you see beautiful bread like that!

Nice looking rolls Brian

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky