Gator Etouffee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Gator Etouffee

2lbs Gator meat
Well trimmed of any fat, silver-skin or other connective tissue and cut into bite sized pieces.
1.5c each diced bell pepper and yellow onion
3/4c diced celery
1T minced garlic
1/2c crushed tomato
2c chopped scallion, for garnish
Brown roux
1 stick butter and 2/3c flour, cooked to either a peanut butter or brown color.
2-4c stock or broth
Whatever flavor does it for you, water will work too.
Bacon grease or butter
Cajun spice, salt

Dust the gator meat well with Cajun spice.

TAmzQcqh.jpg

Add approx 2T of bacon grease to a large deep skillet or Dutch oven and into that your Trinity and garlic, cook till veggies just start to soften.
Add in the gator meat, half the roux, crushed tomato and 2c of stock/broth, bring to a boil while stirring well, then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.

yHVwzTth.jpg

Adjust consistency as desired with either more roux or liquid.
Taste and add Cajun spice and/or salt to taste.

rFFMjcQh.jpg

Rice
1lb long grained, white Rice
In a stockpot over med high-high heat saute the rice in your preferred fat (I like bacon grease) till golden.
Add 4c stock or broth, bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from heat, uncover and let rest.

8PPe13mh.jpg

Serve with rice, garnish with scallions.

wUaz38Lh.jpg

Last edited:
PS FYI, use to cook a similar dish many many times back in the day…..it was one of my fav sautéed type dishes! I would do a quick sear on the gator with butter before I added them in to the sauce…..it took an extra pan but added one more layer of flavor!

Reactions: chilerelleno
If ever there was a Heaven strictly for Cajun food, you sir just passed through the Pearly Gates. That just looks and sounds nothing short of amazing. What I wouldn't give for a massive bowl full of that. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

Exelent dish. ! Living up in frozen Canada lol had aligator only once before. Was not wild about it but that dish of yours looks awesome, looked nothing like what I did. I imagine there could be substitutions if one didn't have gator. Will keep it in mind. Thank you for sharing.

Exelent dish. ! Living up in frozen Canada lol had aligator only once before. Was not wild about it but that dish of yours looks awesome, looked nothing like what I did. I imagine there could be substitutions if one didn't have gator. Will keep it in mind. Thank you for sharing.
Crawfish, shrimp, shellfish e.g. fried oysters, fish, chicken and more... I've even done ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky