Gas BBQ + Oven = New cooker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
I started building a cooker based on a gas BBQ. I want to add a safety gas valve and a pilot light and was looking for a donor oven. I have read about a few other oven conversions and it got me thinking. I'm going to combine the parts.

The gas valves, burners, and cook box will fit under the oven chamber. I can use the frame, door, door seal, side panels, racks, and top grates. I'm going to use the ideas from the following threads.

Parts were laid out to see if it would work. There shouldn't be too much fabrication.

Attachments

• Burners.jpg
    Burners.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Valves.jpg
    Valves.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Weber Cook Chamber.jpg
    Weber Cook Chamber.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 30
I cut the chamber down and it fits well. There is a two-inch gap between the front of the chamber and the front of the stove where I will add the tube smoker. The valves will have a bump guard and hinged lid to cover and protect them.

Attachments

• Camber Installed.jpg
    Camber Installed.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 20
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 22
Trial fitting the valves, gas line, and thermocouple. The grill came with only one spark ignitor so I added two more for each burner. The spark will come from the oven's spark control module. I'm trying to recycle as much as I can.

Attachments

• Gas Line.jpg
    Gas Line.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 20
I re-run the gas lines and moved the controls to the front panel. The firebox is complete, I just need to seal it up. I decided to build a butcher block top using some scrape material for some job sites.

Attachments

• Butcher Block Top.JPG
    Butcher Block Top.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Completed Burner Setup.JPG
    Completed Burner Setup.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 15
  • Controls.JPG
    Controls.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Gas lines.JPG
    Gas lines.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Ignitor Module.JPG
    Ignitor Module.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 19
All most done. It is still very cold outside so I may have to wait for a bit to use it. I haven't built the control box for the PID but I still can use the smoker without using the PID.

Attachments

• All most done 1.JPG
    All most done 1.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 20
  • All most done 2.JPG
    All most done 2.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 20
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky