Garden upgarde

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ella rollins

Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Hello all,

I have a small garden in my backyard. I started maintaining it just 1 year ago. I would like to upgrade my garden. It's winter time, so I'm really excited. I happened to read an article which had few tips for a greener life. In that they had said to grow fruits and vegetables in the garden. I just loved it. But i'm confused on what vegetables and fruits to grow in my garden. It will be really helpful if you suggesting few plants that can be grown in garden. What fruits and vegetables are you growing in your garden??

Plant what you like to eat and plant what grows well in your climate.

We had our worst garden ever this year. Our raspberries did great, as did our lettuce. But the rest was horrible. Amending the soil and hoping for a better garden next year.

Hard to suggest anything without even a clue to where you are
Whether it's in-ground or a raised box(es)
Covered or uncovered (e.g. opaque/semi-opaque plastic)
and so many other variables

I guess dirtsailor2003 gave the best answer for the limited info, and best in general.

G'luck.

Thank you all for your suggestions.. We are in Toronto region and the climate here is very cool.. I'm planning to plant them in-ground.. Which plants grow well in cool climates?? 

I would check with a reputable nursery or garden store as far a buying plants. They should have plants suited for your area. Like everyone else said, go with what you like. I'm in Pennsylvania, so I don't know much about your area as far as gardening, but have you considered raising your beds? Raised beds tend to thaw out quicker in spring than ground level, even if they're raised a few inches. Just something to consider since you're a neighbor in the Great White North. Dirt sailor is on to something about amending your soil. It never hurts. If you can, composting is a great way to add to the soil with your own scraps. Happy gardening this spring!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky