Galvanized steel wood chip pan??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

littlechief

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Washington
I was wondering if it would be safe to use a galvanized steel dog dish for a wood chip pan in a Char Broil H2o electric smoker? It would be similar to what is used in a little chief smoker setting right on the heating element. I tried it without food in the smoker and it worked great. I'm just worried about toxic fumes from the galvanizing. Maybe if I pre burnt it in my fire pit?? Any input would be appreciated!
118975qtgalvanizedpan.jpg

Anything galvenized puts out very hazerdous fumes. There is a way to burn it off, and I am sure someone will pipe in with that info. Personally I would always be wondering if it were tainting my food.

I don't think that it would get hot enough to give off fumes......But....
why take the chance. Galvanized steel, when hot enough, like in welding it, gives of very poisonous fumes. As he said below, I would be worried about any tainting of the food I ate. Stick the reliable plain steel, or better yet, if you have a salvation army or good will store close by, you could probably find a nice stainless pan in there. I know thats where I go to find good backpacking stainless pots and pans. Just an idea.

I'm one of those who tends to push it when it comes to galvanized stuff in my cookers. If you are talking the smoking chamber, then would say not a problem. But, I draw the line when it comes in contact with the heat source. Never a good idea. You'd be much better of with a cheap disposable aluminum pie pan from Wally-World.

Well it sounds like the dog dish is out, back to the coffee can. Thanks for all the input. Better safe than sorry when it comes to the family.

BTW.. does anybody know what temperature the 1600w element reaches?
Thanks!

So can someone post the poisonous gases that would be emitted? Galvanized metal is often zinc coated steel. Zinc by itself is not poisonous. Just wondering.

Zinc, by itself is not poisonous, like the amount one would take in a multivitamin. However, welding zinc produces zinc oxide fumes and inhaling them will make you sick without a doubt. Symptoms resemble that of the flu. It is know as "zine fume fever" You can also get it by simply grinding on galvanized material in preparation for welding, as the dust in the air contains zinc particles.

Good advise from Josh, aluminum pans are an easy way to work out the problem.

I've had aluminum pans melt on me if placed directly on my hot plate burner in my smoke generator. This was regular alum. pie pans, not disposable style. I have gone to a stainless steel dog dish that I got from Petco. It fits well on my hotplate, and has so far worked great.

From "the Man" himself:

1.) http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtrai.../weldhlth.html
The first paragraph in this document talks about zinc oxide being produced from heating galvanized metals

2.) http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsamp...CH_277005.html
This document tells you what zinc oxide can do to your body

The standard response to this is of course, "we aren't welding here". True, and though the temperatures are sizably lower, the risk still exists. Compound that with the exposure over a long smoke, and it proves to be dangrous in some cases.

ON EDIT: I meant to also point out that the poster above mentions that aluminum pans have melted. Aluminum melts at over 1200 degrees F. Now that seems pretty high to me for smoking, but I don't use electric smokers so I can't really comment on the details. The point is, if that is the case, you certainly don't want zinc in areas where aluminum can melt.

carlos - i don't have any documented evidence, but i have also read from several sources re: the toxic zinc oxide fumes. i don't believe everything i read on the internet, but i have read tis one enough to figure that it isn't worth the chance when there are widely-available alternatives.

burning everything off with a hot propane torch would take care of the problem. i would do the burn method if there were no other alternative and would be sure that every inch of it got red hot before i used it for BBQ. but as others have said, a person could just as well go with SS or even an old cast iron pan, which would probably work better anyway.

Putting any metal object in contact with the electric element will only shorten its life. As a suggestion, try using unsoaked chunks and placing 1 or 2 in between the element. You'll get plenty of smoke without running the risk of damaging the element.

Ok. so here is test #1. What are the two types of so called "galvanized" processes used on steel? Please be careful not to get your shovel out and dig a hole.
icon_rolleyes.gif

no.

as a blacksmith and general metalworking fiend...I've known people that have died from zinc fumes.

Zinc starts offgassing from the steel at about 600F, well within the range of what you'd get on burner contact, especially at the temps you need to et your chips/sawdust/etc to smoke.

Zinc Oxide isn't JUST harmful when inhaled. Depositing a layer of it on whatever you're smoking is still going to give you metal poisoning. Don't risk it to save a few bucks.

Get a stainless steel bowl, or even go to a yard sale and pick up an old cast iron skillet, even if it's a tetch cracked.

as far as I personally am concerned, all galvanized stuff is the work of pure evil.

I can, under NO circumstances, recommend the use of galvanized ANYTHING in a smoker.

Just ask the question 'is it worth me, my significant other, my kids, or my family (except maybe the mother in law) being exceptionally ill, or dying, because of trying to save a few bucks?'

I'm sure people will call down thunder on me for being 'needlessly dire', and perhaps the loss of my acquaintance has something to do with it, but to me, it's a no-brainer.

Get something else. It's really that simple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky