Galvanized metal on OUTSIDE of smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingry

Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Hi all! Been loving the vast amount of info on here, but as the title mentions, I think I have a new twist on an old debate. I have a Brinkmann Trailmaster and I want to continue to mod it. I've been thinking of using kaowool all around it and then taking a wide diameter (12"+) rolled pipe (that you see at any home store for duct work) and putting that over the kaowool to encase it. Then securing it all together with screws or something. Now, given that the insulation and that the galvanized isn't in the chambers themselves, does anyone see this as being potentially dangerous? Thanks!!
(First post! :) )

Last edited:
technically no, asectically yes     Not sure how you would incase it and make it look good. Holding it on with screws etc.

As far as the meat in the smoke chamber, seems safe to me.  I wonder if you'd have to worry about any toxic fumes being released from the kaowool.  Don't know if that stuff is even toxic.  Just a consideration.

Thanks guys! I have some ideas about the asthetics and I'm sure I'll post pics once I start the process. My biggest concerns are the heat and the release of any gases from the galvanized. That being said, I've just discovered black rolled stove pipe. I can see making that work and maybe that would negate the concerns. Thoughts?

I had this question answered yesterday and if the source is correct, galvanization doesn't off-gass until it hits 392 degrees Fahrenheit, so temps below this should be fine. I've known people to use galvanized duct on all their smokers and never had any problems.

Reactions: smokingry
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky