Future chicken dinner? NOT!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
Got some chicks about 5 weeks ago, Was already planning what rubs, smoked,grilled, marinades. But last week the wife informed she named them:emoji_anguished:. Oh well will have to look into some egg dishes I guess!:emoji_disappointed:
20190831_164605_resized.jpg

Reactions: Ben58
Congrats! One of the five girls we got in April just stared laying. I got 4 small eggs as of today! 4 more and I'll have Breakfast!
What kind are they? Very excited for you Bro...JJ

Reactions: smokerjim
Congrats! One of the five girls we got in April just stared laying. I got 4 small eggs as of today! 4 more and I'll have Breakfast!
What kind are they? Very excited for you Bro...JJ
we probably won't start getting eggs from them until around jan. they were supposed to the ameracauna( not sure of the spelling) but i'm thinking they are easter eggers which are related to the ameracaunas somehow. we had rhode island reds but only have 1 left. that's how we ended up with chicks the wife brought them home saying the older chicken looked lonely.

My Daughter buys in a similar manner. Went to get 4 Pullets Chicks because we had too many Cockerels. She came home with TEN because they were only a dollar, the last ten at the store and didn't want to separate them!...JJ

Great crowing! Yep, hard to eat the pets. But you've got eggs to look forward to come spring. You have easter-eggers. Feed stores won't have Americaunas, as they are now a breed, but usually from specialty breeders. I miss my chicks. We're inheriting my wife's folk's place, that even tho it is in the country, it is deed restricted "community" and no chickens allowed. Texas has a new law of about 18 months or so, that if you have 6 or less, you don't have to follow the rules. Dogs -- I hate dogs -- chicken killers, tearing down my fence. Sore spot.

Enjoy those peeps. But, remember if they get out of line, just point to the smoker -- they'll behave!! R

Reactions: smokerjim
My Daughter buys in a similar manner. Went to get 4 Pullets Chicks because we had too many Cockerels. She came home with TEN because they were only a dollar, the last ten at the store and didn't want to separate them!...JJ
your daughter sounds a lot like my wife, she brought 6 home that day then she stopped a week later at the store to get feed, she called me saying they only had 8 chicks left and she felt sorry for them that they didn't find a home yet and she wanted to take them home, I wouldn't of cared but i'm just not set up for that many chickens.

Enjoy those peeps. But, remember if they get out of line, just point to the smoker -- they'll behave!! R
I told the wife if they don't lay enough eggs i'll sit in front of them sharpening the axe, that should get them laying, if that doesn't work i'll try the smoker threat

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Too funny!! My late brother-in-law was a tough as nails cop with the emotions of a sledgehammer. One year he bought a young calf to raise for meat.
The next time I visited he was out in the pasture walking a 1200lb steer ON A LEASH. I asked my sister if he'd gone bonkers, and she sighed and told me that he'd named the damn thing and couldn't bring himself to slaughter it.

Too funny!! My late brother-in-law was a tough as nails cop with the emotions of a sledgehammer. One year he bought a young calf to raise for meat.
The next time I visited he was out in the pasture walking a 1200lb steer ON A LEASH. I asked my sister if he'd gone bonkers, and she sighed and told me that he'd named the damn thing and couldn't bring himself to slaughter it.
that's some funny stuff, yeah once something is named it automatically becomes a pet not dinner.

I must be the A hole in the group lol. The little woman and I were talking about raising some tasty treats in the future a week ago and she was worried she might get attached to them and not be able to go through with killing them, I opened up the door to the gun room and said don’t worry hunny I got that part of it..... I’m not sure if the big sigh and the eye roll was her relief or her disapproval of my jackassery

I was leaning that way myself
yeah you got a 50/50 chance always lean towards the safer side, you could always tell her you were cleaning your gun and for some unknown reason it went off.

Reactions: JJS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky